Installshield Created exe Files won't run.

Hi everyone.

Got a puzzling problem that I cannot seem to fix via googling... hopfully you guys can help.

I have an Athlon 1.4, 640Mb RAM, with 2x20Gb ATA133 in raid. Running XP SP2RC2 with the usuall Office 2003, Photoshop CS etc etc.

I have all the normal stuff like AV, Firewall and stuff and I went to install my TV software and the curser went to hourglass and then nothing. Nothing at all, no service started, no prompts no nothing. I did some scratching and testing and found it it ANY installshield created exe files. No other so have has this issue. I have even tried rolling back to SP1, Safe mode, turning all other services off (AV etc.)

The only difference I have made with this install and previous ones were I never came accross the problem is that I am now running a raid. Could that be the problem? Is there a way to record debug info?

I really need the help. the 2 main files I want to install is the Canon A40 WDM drivers and the PixelVeiw Pro TV/FM software. all other apps have all work. I even tried redownloading software...

I am at a dead end in terms of options so please help me...

go to start > run type: services.msc

scroll down till you see "windows installer"

start this services if it isnt already

and set it to automatic so you dont have to start it each time you want to install something :)

btw do you get any error messages or do you just get nothing?

Just tried that and still nothing. And as I said I am getting absolutly nothing at all. no errors etc. I even watch my proccess list and nothing gets edded to it. the only sign that I have double clicked it is that the processor usage goes up for a millisecond and then goes back to normal.

Just did a reinstall and tested to see what caused it.

Programs run fine on clean install of XP with SP1 slipstreamed.

Fine after installing SP2 RC2

Then I installed Avast Antivirus and did a windows update.

Something amongst this has now stopped the installshield applications form running.

Can I get ANY help at all into what is happening?

Here are the updates installed after SP2 RC2

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

Intel Corporation - Networking - Intel® PRO/100+ PCI Adapter

Samsung Electronics CO., LTD. - Monitors - Syncmaster 181T/185T/180T, Syncmaster Magic CX185T-AZ(DIGITAL)

Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer (Windows XP)

I can't see how any of these could affect it but one of them did.

• 2 weeks later...

i can confirm this problem... but do not know what causes it.. frest install of sp2 2149 works fine.. Note, I use Avast too.. I am going to try to install Avast again quick and see if i can still run setup files.. It appears to happen with InstallShield setups based on really old versions like 2.x and 3.x.... I have some relatively new programs that are still using these version of InstallShield so this is not good at all. :(

update....

Bot sure what it is.. but whatever it is, it is triggered by avast isntaller. First boot after installing avast, I cant run these installers. Temporary fix... (problem goes away when avast is uninstalled, just disabling wont work)... uninstall avast, run installer you are having problem with, and then reinstall avast.. I am making a post in the avast support forum regarding this.

Umm ... I am having exactly the same problem !!!!

No, no beta software installed !!!!

I will double click to install the app, then nothing happens at all. (It does add the "setup.exe" into the process list, but you can only KIll it, nothing more)

I am just leaving it, until I do a fresh install with SP2 ...

But, if you can help ...... ;)

P.S. I don't know what avast is, but I aint got it installed ... Norton's baby ///

RazorSA... not quite the same problem.. setup.exe doesnt run when this happens.. it is related to Avast (btw, I happily use even with the choice/option of norton)

erp has the most likely solution for your problem.

Well i think there may be a bug with installshield and XP2, when i launch an installer, say for example to unpack a Catalyst driver set, my CPU is at 100% whilst the dialogue box is at the first prompt. Im sure this isnt normal?

installshield.gif

Going to check that thread now.

mong

Edited by mongoled

"msiexec -regserver" in simple terms (all i know) tells windows to use the windows installer service to handle setup files. Sometimes installing bad programs changes the registry setting that controls this. That command changes it back.