[f1] ~ FIA reveals planned changes

FIA reveals planned changes

_40367267_mosley203.jpg

Mosley has warned speeds have become too fast

Formula One teams will have to make engines last two weekends and qualify and race with the same tyres next year under proposed changes to the sport.

The FIA has sent all 10 teams the plans which are designed to make the sport safer by slowing down the cars.

They could impose the measures unless at least eight teams agree satisfactory alternative plans by 6 September.

FIA president Max Mosley has warned speeds have become too fast and there were two recent bad crashes in America.

The teams are expected to agree to the changes to prevent their costs becoming too high.

The proposals cover aerodynamics, tyres and engines with further measures to reduce engine power scheduled for 2006.

On aerodynamics, the FIA proposals include raising the front wing, moving the rear wing element forward and limiting the height of the diffuser.

It estimated that the measures would slow cars through fast corners while having a minimal effect on straight-line speeds.

Tyres will be limited to two sets per driver per weekend, with one set for Friday and Saturday practice and the other for qualifying and the race - meaning a tyre will have to last for at least 350km rather than 80 at present.

By making engines last for two races power will be reduced.

The FIA said that in 2006 a 2.4 litre V8 engine would replace the current three litre V10 units.

Teams that cannot obtain a 2.4 litre engine will be allowed to use the old one with power restricted by a rev limiter.

The changes are sounding great, before the 90's hight tech f1 racing thats become the modern day standard of racing, F1 was quite enjoyable to watch. Also with the look of gearsticks making a comeback .. its gonna be a whole trip into the past !!

damn I hate all those snobs who say F-1 is too fast and bla bal bla ... drivers gat paid for their risc and none of them wants to drive a 2 wheels 10 horse power "formula"

One of the purposes of Formula One is to push the envelope of automotive engineering. What's the point of limiting innovation? :huh:

I love F1, watch it all the time.

I think the restrictions are to try any make the sport more interesting and competitive.

I mean exept for Schuey getting knocked off the track in one race he would have won every race this year. Fans don't want to see that (well the non Schuey one's) they want overtaking and fighting for places.

I'm in favour of them if they make the sport more competitive.

One of the purposes of Formula One is to push the envelope of automotive engineering. What's the point of limiting innovation? :huh:

exactly the words i was looking for.

When was the last time you saw the lead change multiple times over the course of the race without pitstops being involved...hmmm... Ayrton Senna anyone?

I love F1, watch it all the time.

I think the restrictions are to try any make the sport more interesting and competitive.

I mean exept for Schuey getting knocked off the track in one race he would have won every race this year. Fans don't want to see that (well the non Schuey one's) they want overtaking and fighting for places.

I'm in favour of them if they make the sport more competitive.

Yep very true

I remember watching a replay of the last few laps of the 1979 french GP where Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux tusstled it out for the lead over the last few laps and on the last lap they overtook each other 15 odd times ... now thats racing ! :woot:

i think these rules are retarded....

what does it mean to "qualify and race with the same tires"... do they mean the same brand tires or phsycially the same tires? And with the 2 weekend use of the engine, i bet youre gonna see a lot of mechanical problems every 2 weekends when they re-use the same engine

These rules aren't the solution.. i'm not quire sure what the solution IS, but this isn't it!

Maybe they need to force Schumacher into retirement.. he's just too bloody good :(

The lesser teams like Minardi, Jaguar and Sauber are already struggling to keep up with reliability. Now FIA wants the teams to ensure their engines last for more than 2,000km running at up to 360km/hr...

And about the tyre lasting for 350km, wouldn't that make the sport even dangerous since the tyre grip will be weared down drastically by the time their halfway through the race?

I reckon that Ferrari will quit Formula 1 together with the retirement of Michael Schumacher. Formula 1 is all about speed and I wouldn't want to watch kiddy cars racing.

The lesser teams like Minardi, Jaguar and Sauber are already struggling to keep up with reliability. Now FIA wants the teams to ensure their engines last for more than 2,000km running at up to 360km/hr...
If they want to stay then they will have to make their engines reliable.
And about the tyre lasting for 350km, wouldn't that make the sport even dangerous since the tyre grip will be weared down drastically by the time their halfway through the race?

The tyres will not wear down quickly because the tyre manufacturers will have to make a compound for the tyres which will be able to withstand going that distance.

I reckon that Ferrari will quit Formula 1 together with the retirement of Michael Schumacher. Formula 1 is all about speed and I wouldn't want to watch kiddy cars racing.

I don't think Ferrari will quit, they will just get another driver like they always do, I would like to see Schuey go to a smaller team and try and achieve what he has will Ferrari.