[Help] Installing nvidia drivers in Fedora Core 2

When I type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run" I get the following message:

Unable to find system utility `ld`, please make sure you have the package `binutils` installed, then please check that `ld` is in your path.`

I don't have binutils installed (checked with "rpm -q binutils" command), and I'm unable to find a package with this name it under Package Management. Which package under "Development" in Package Management must be installed?

Thanks.

Sounds like you need your "Development options" from your CDs. You should be able to go to "Add/Remove packages" and re-add them. It will ask for the proper CD. Then it should work.

What the nVidia installer tries to do is to see if a 'pre-compiled' kernel is available from nVidia for your system. If not (and it never has for me), it will compile it for you. Very nice, but you have to have the tools installed. ;)

Give that a whirl, and see how that goes. I have done it enough times now, that it is nearly second natur.. You will need to re-add the nVidia support anytime you update your kernel. The new kernels don't come with that built-in, as that is a nVidia-owned thing that has a different licence that isn't compatible with the GNU GPL.

If you run into any other problems, just let us know.