Theif 3, Game review, spoilers/all. PC

Hi...lets get started shall we?---oh ignore my spelling mistakes, i suck :rofl: , also im kind of picky about scales and numbers which is limited to what it is at the end...

Theif 3: Deadly Shadows (PC ver) ---apparentlly final in series, but horrible choice of title, what brain dead idiot came up with that title?

Okay on to the storyline:

Your a Theif, your name is Garret "something", you are a Former Keeper(a group of magically enabled people due to trials and tribulations...err sorta....who watch people, do things to keep evil at bay...), you are a Master Theif, the best of the best basically, you have had various times before foiled world domination plots(well city actually), once against a Hammerite shootoff cult called the Machineist( T2...name could be wrong...i've not finished it yet), and before that, something else(i never played Theif 1.....).

There are factions of people in this city/and non-faction things, basically broken down as such:

Regular folk, walk around, chat...stuff---not a real faction, but best choice of wording--they will run from you if you steal, hit, or if they see you even near a body/whatnot

Thugs, walk around, chat, attack you/others depending what you or they do --same as above ....can hurt equal to the Watch

City Watch--i consider a faction, and they hate you, and will always attack/chase you down when seen {police, ****ing man in blue}....can hurt you bad

Pagans-true factionation(you basically are on their side if you do things/yadda yadda...more on that later), Will attack when provoked after Factioned with you, Will attack in levels if they see you(kind of stupid when your part of their faction later on, even without provoking), {heathens the unclean, savages....the ones the Church says stay away from}...can hurt

Hammerites--true factionation(on their side really...mostlly through and through when you do things), Will attack when provoked, or when others do things to you, or them, or around them, will always attack the Pagan faction when in view-as they are Heathens, they will attack in levels, even after the on your side thing...{side note---look its the Catholic/Christian Church!!!....yup their hammer is their cross and Jesus!!!}---they hurt like hell when attacking, but there are worse ones...

Fish Men--Kuroskus or something like that...only in one level, with the Giant Rats....both equal in hurt

Keepers/Enforcers---your own "brethern" Will attack when provoked, in level will give chase, or something, the Enforcers are telepathic somewhat, they will always attack you, seek you out, and can hurt like hell thanks to their boomrang like weapon...your either on their side, or not...it depends on whats happening in the game at the time

Statues HURT like hell when they hit...they are the worst enemy to run into because they truelly can run and fast, and get to you...they attack anything that moves/attacks them....and you can only kill them with 2 fire arrows or later in the game, with your blackjack(which we will get to later)

Other the plant creatures, Zombies, and some other things(rats, Bugs), and of course the final evil thing....

Okay: Weapons/upgrades/whatnot:

Blackjack a hand club, knock people out if from behind and don't know your there, otherwize useless unless hitting for items from running people, and then like toward the 1/7th end of the game you get the upgrade to hit and smash out those statue things...

Knife quite possiblly the worse weapon ever...only good if you plan on killing your opponet from behind, and since most levels leaving a blood stain on the ground is bad(let alone the noise they produce when killed)...bad...why did they get rid of the sword from 2?(oh and you can't even cut away curtains/things like in 2)....no upgrades

BroadHead Arrow Long distance weapon(not sure how many you can carry), has same problems that affect the Knife....can kill a person in one hit, if they don't notice you, Arcs....only upgrades once, and only to kill the little Metal Eating Bugs, which explode and get attention of people, nice, totally worthless otherwize(can't even cut hanging rope/things)

Fire Arrow the most useful weapon in game (carry around 20 of them), i swear, kills almost anything in few hits(guards/whatnot i think one hit...i may be wrong), can start small fires with oil around...no upgrades(sigh...) rare...hard to come by sorta...the sorta explode, kills Zombies/makes them disingrate, kills statues in 2 hits me thinks...

Gas Arrow almost most useful except...only can carry like 5 of them, knocks out one or two in close range, no upgrades(once again, sigh)

Noisemaker Arrow its okay to distract enemys if they don't know where you are to run away/grab things fast...5 once again

Moss Arrow maybe 20 at max.....pretty okay...i did not use it except when the "upgrade" occured, its used to add to your faction for Pagans....and to choke your enemys that breath, makes moss grow on floor where hit, softens for steping to limit noise...

Water Arrow 20 at max, good, kills flames(lower light level helps you get by enemys easier), makes the moss grow more out...no upgrade(would be nice to drown the people though)

Mines blow up when planted and something walks by...you can hurt your self uber bad with these....

Gas Bomb perfect for group of breathing enemys to knock them out at once....

Flash Bomb blinds all enemys basically for short period of time, letting you get by, or grabs something

Oil Flask can trip enemys, and can be ignighted with flame i think....

Holy Water Zombie killer, one hit....only thing....

Red Potion----err Health Potion heals some...depends on difficulty level I think...

Climbing Gloves climb Stone walls, Brick....thats all...forget wood, and let alone trees/whatnot...you buy these at one point

Lock pick equipmentnot really and item since you don't have to select it....sorta auto at locks..

Metal Eyesame as above except its only for Zooming...

Bottles, plates, Crates, ect. can be picked up...but not inventory, and thrown or dropped at enemies...

Non-select Items Items auto used, like Keys, and specific items...

Lootanything worth value that you can pawn for cash, money, item, painting, jewlery, and special items

Now for the joy of levels/areas(main only):

South Quarter---you live in area, and your appartment is a doorway thats circling Blue swirl outside, you can access the Docks, and StoneMarket, The Jail, and at some point the Graveyard at Old Quarter for a limited time only!!!!

Stone Market---Stone Market is broken into 2 sections, one is called Proper after the title, you can acces in part one: Keeper Library, Clocktower, and part 2....in part 2: Old Quarter, and the Hammerite Church St. Edgers(for one time)

Old Quarter can touch Stone Market, Alude, Docks, and the Graveyard-Hammerite church, also you come from part of the Keeper Library from there...you start out there escaping that, and the Enforcers...nicknamed the rooftops Theif's Highway..yet it don't feel like it thanks to the small size of the land...(i.e. thanks to ###### X-box programing)

The Docks Old Quarter and South Quarter accesable, and also you go from here to the Boat(which goes away after the Quarentine) and some villa

Alude Rich land...only accessible from Old Quarter, big buildings, none enterable, only the Goldsmith's house is...you get to the Hags lair, and Meuseam(gah speeling) from here.

All have some blackmarket area...though not all have both shops(the pawn{fence} and the weapon/items{something})

All are occupied by City watch and people....some have Pagans and Hammerites, and eventually Enforcers at some point, then Statues...it gets hard to transverse.

Now for the fun part: the sequence of the game, abridged so not totally spoiled(i.e. not telling all levels, and end game):

You start off in a tutorial somewhat, as most current games do, only its a real mission, and damn easy(****ed me off i could not chose to ignore the rules), you get knowledge of how to use various items/weapons, and learn of an Opal to steal from the big house of Porter(a Great Family, one of the old ones...anotherwords, fighting and backstabing of family)...

You then go on that mission, you run around, and steal it....then you go home....then you go to pawn it...find out you have to go to StoneMarket to do so, and to knock off some bitch you stole the opal from, you pawn and during that time find out a few things....you meet your first Keeper(Artemus)....who tells you they need two things, and they will do so, you steal one from the Hammerites, and one from the Pagans.....then so forth on to the Keepers, who then inform you that those two factions what to Anally Rape you with various things, and to avoid such you must do favors for them, while at the same time doing yourself a favor by finding what the Keepers seem to be missing.

You eventually go to the Sewers and meet a type of enemy called the Kusakus(again spelling), and see some Rats, and kill some pagans all in the name of getting an item....same happens on the Boat(Bursting with Flavor---Zombies) which you find out you must go to some big Villa for...and you do...fight thugs/whatnot....you go back, meet Artemus again....and yadda yadda you go to clocktower to prove something, end up "stopping Time"....but not really, you make the tower burn and fall down and point at First Keeper(who's name escapes me at the moment), and go back to the Keepers, only to find out the visionary/interperter is murdered, and the First Keeper blames you, even though you were at the ****ing Clocktower, and no one in the Councel of Keepers seemed to point that out.... :rolleyes: :takes breath:

You run, escape Enforcers, and then while under the knowledge you need to prove your innocent go back aroudn the city and then go to Graveyard to find out your not the enemy of all Keepers(who by the way are full of themselves as they think they cant all be corrupt), and go back to the Keeper compound to search for clues/answers....then you do, and you go on a quest to find all you can on the Hag that attacks you in there, and find such in Alude from Hammerite detective Drept, who tells you to go to Shambridge Cradle(which is located in Old Quarter)....you get to feel like your Playing Silent Hill 2 at the the whole time with the Jail/Orphanage/Criminals/Timetravel.... :laugh:

You find info, go back to prove your not bad at the Keepers, only to find out that the "Hag" has killed off a few/and trying to get the "Final Glyph" Destroyed....joy....you now have to find out where she is hiding....and whatnot...oh and statues everywhere(you find out she is in Alude under the Creek...which by the way i forgot to mention....YOU CAN"T ****ING SWIM(yes the nice thing you could do in Theif 2, and maybe 1, they never coded in...which completelly gets rid of some part of the gaming experience)....so you find way to drain it, and enter her abode and get the joy of hiding/and running for your life from Statues....my god the Statues don't give up... :pinch:

Then....well find the rest for yourself. :devil:

On to Graphics, Sounds, and things:

The Graphics seem to be ....okay....they are horribly low quality for something on PC at this day in age, as they are limited texture wize due to ION STORMS/EIDOS working this at same time as X-box version....otherwize they have fantastic lighting, and shape(except for Garrets hands, which are abhorentlly too low).....then the fact that the people all seem to look the same....all Women have the same shape, face, whatnot...Men seem to be well more....varied...let alone monsters/whatnot(the rats seem lower poly than previous ones). Weapons in hands/whatnot...okay...in fact some better than previous.

The Sound is pretty damn good, glad levels of noise produced by some things are good...though the variation of what people say such as the Guards/whoever would attack seem to be lower than I would want...sounds of weapons/whatnot pretty good....but sad that Hardware Mixing does not work for me....

The Gameplay ah control...pretty good, except for trying to cling to some things/whatnot(i.e. sometimes hard to force him to jump over something/climb things)...otherwize all good...

The Glitches Oh boy....there are some weird ones....like falling through a wall/climbing into one, getting stuck in surfaces....the normal generic stuff, its rare, but i know certian areas prone to cause...there is one thing i do consider a glitch....but im not sure: If there is a dead body, and someone saw the person die by another's hand and they are a Faction that you allied with....they sometimes decide that your the one who did such a thing, even though you ****ing where not there..... :pinch: there is also the choice of the programmer to decide that everyone knocked out at various times, to all wake up at same time even when not near each other(happens pretty bad in Alude, and South Quarter/Stonemarket)---i consider it a glitch as when people hidden should not wake up somehow..., there is also the fact that Moss put on the Pagan Markings does not stay on every area...

The Complaints---where ION STORM/EIDOS failed the fans:

NO SWIMMING!!!!---who's bright idea was it not to have that in, that so could have expanded the play factor for more levels

SMALL ASS LEVELS-----nice, make for X-box, **** the PC version over, because you know, the world is small....Theif 2, levels are huge, expansive areas, in T3 they are uber small maybe 1-4th size, and they are split into chunks....

NO ROPE ARROW--the Climbing Gloves are suppose to replace these?....WTF?!?!?!?

NO SWORD---no Theifs aren't allowed long sharp objects, lets give him a small weapon that no matterwhat he will get hurt fighting...

NO ABILITY TO REPLENISH LIFE FROM BREAD/WHATNOT....thats right lets drop the edible food factor....**** the player over even more...

Limited access to rooms/places....hmmm I swear in Theif 2 you could go into almost any door, another way of making the levels/whatnot smaller...

NO UPGRADE of some Weapons....would have been nice to be able to hurt the Statue men with my regular Arrows, or maybe entangle them in Moss Arrows(really that upgrade the pagans gave did not do enough), what about those fire arrows?...or maybe Noisemaker arrows with ghost... or gas Arrows with more gas...really not hard to think about...maybe even turn normal water arrows into holywater ones....would have made killing Zombies easier...

TIP things go by way too fast, should always have been first thing on loading screens....dumbasses

SECRET ROOMS!!!---i don't know about anyone else, but Secrets were lacking, big time...

Garret is missing his scar in FMVs!!!!, HIS FACE EVEN ****ING CHANGES SHAPE/COLOUR/EYE IN THE FMVs!!!

Loading Screen....always the same face...which does not look enough like Garret and looks like some black dude....

Varied people: there are no people of other nationality in the game, everyone that is a Woman is same face over and over, the men vary more, Theif 2 at least the people varied more...

It's Like Theif 2 never happened, no one has some of the things from that period, no robots, no sentries, i see no power generators/excetera....yet there is electricity....I see no wires really anywhere except inside some Hammerite areas....

Thats all really....

On to my final words:

Theif 3 of course being part and the final chapter apparentlly to the series, is a Stealth game, where you try not to really get caught or anything....steal, and steal like the dickens....do your thing...explore strange new wor.....err wrong series.....you go around, doing what you need, knocking out, killing, stealling...and get nothing really out of it except richer(or poorer in my case), you form some worthy allies, and see what happens to Garrett....I recommend the game if you like the series, and want to see where it went bad/better thanks to ION STORM/Eidos, and to drool over the lighting effects(some of best ever)...the experience will leave a taste in your mouth---either a bitter mad one, or a good feeling something....to me it was middle of line, because i was dissapointed with few things, let alone it seems the story was a last minute thing, and it made little since at some points(i.e. the end FMV totally felt weird, and not right, let alone i could figure out somethings without having to go through things like Garrett did...apparentlly hes not the brightest man thats a Theif...), all in all I played for like a total of 2-1/2 days all together(because i diddle-dattle around looking for things/whatnot, and get disappointed by the limited level sizes/secrets), I compell you to play this if you played the first two and to see the end of the series...

I give it on a scale of 1-10 (1 being worst, and 10 being best), about a 7, the reason being the ones i stated, and the fact i basically forced myself to play it, on Normal difficulty...and got ****ed off enough times at it, but played it because i wanted to see the end, and the FMVs(i like FMVs, by the way these are Artistically weird...like your looking at paper....or something---not like the second one?), and the level sizes, interaction with the levels, and because the lighting/sounds/buying/whatnot got my attention...

Edited by kennyout