Good c++ book

Question

Whats a up to date, good c++ book?

I bought "Thinking in c++" by Bruce Eckel, about 2 months ago, but it was too complicated for me now, although it did teach me a couple of things i wanted to know. I was looking at "C++ How to Program (4th Edition)", but i wasn't sure if it was good or not, so if it is good, could u tell me.

Thanks in advanced

15 answers to this question

check out amazon.com for reviews, yes many people recommend C++ How to Program, got great reviews at amazon too.

Personally I?m studying with C++ From The Ground Up , it describes everything with an example...its not an exercise book which tells you step1 do this; step2 do this... it actually explains what it all does and why too.

just everyone own favorite style of book he feels comfortable with.

If you do not want to buy it for $35, you can always do the "Used" books. I almost always buy "Used" and most of them come in perfect condition. :) I'm also looking into C++, as I want to learn programing. Microsoft sent me a copy of Visual Basic .NET standard, but you must use the framework (I have it, but people who use the programs must have it also) and of course, it's not cross platform.

check out amazon.com for reviews, yes many people recommend C++ How to Program, got great reviews at amazon too.

Personally I?m studying with C++ From The Ground Up , it describes everything with an example...its not an exercise book which tells you step1 do this; step2 do this... it actually explains what it all does and why too.

just everyone own favorite style of book he feels comfortable with.

Does this teach you the basics also?

well ehm d0h or it wouldnt be called from the ground up :pinch: covers basic things like variable, arrays,characters, functions , and more advanced functions, many pointers stuff etc. After that it will teach you some OOP stuff starting with classes, you?d have to have a solid understanding of the basics before proceeding to OOP. You can check the table of contents yourself at amazon of the book.

I've looked at C++ How To Program 4th Ed., and it looks very comprehensive.

I'd just recommend going to a computer book store and flipping through some of these books to see which format you like best. I, personally, learn better from reference books than tutorials, and that's why I'm using C++: The Complete Reference as one of several books I'm simultaneously reading about C++.

Well i have decided to buy either "C++ from the Ground Up" or "C++ How to Program (4th Edition)" so can you recommend, which one you think is better. Don't take in mind the high prices, because i can always buy the used books.

I highly recommend Learn C++ in 21days, it goes from the basic stuff to more complicated things and it's really written well. :D

I got it to read as a foundation to learning Visual C++ and it's really helped alot.

Well i have decided to buy either "C++ from the Ground Up" or "C++ How to Program (4th Edition)" so can you recommend, which one you think is better. Don't take in mind the high prices, because i can always buy the used books.

I dont own C++ How To Program so cant say how that book is, i?d know it got ALOT of great reviews everywhere (check amazon) ..dunno how the style of this book is.

With C++ From The Ground Up it covers all the basics till OOP things. It isnt a book which says step1: type this; step2 : do this etc. It mainly gives you a code example and explains what it does and most importantly why. Reading this book has already cleared many stupid basic syntax mistakes up for me.

so i?d say read some reviews (at amazon) about C++ How To Program and decide your own which style you?d prefer

goodluck

'Thinking in C++' is a very good book...

maybe you will just need to read it more carefully.

C++ from the Ground Up is also good, but I am not a good programmer so my opinion might not be worth it :(

i know 'Thinking in C++' is a very good book, but its a bit to advanced for me. I will probably decide later what book to get and ty for all of ur help :)

I'd agree with Lycan, between those two books the biggest difference is style. It's just preference, although Herbet Schildt's books (C++ from the Ground Up) can be somewhat intimidating for people with no prior programming experience, though plenty of people have started with his books (myself included), and we've all made it. Do keep in mind, though, that C++ How To Program is allegedly used somewhat frequently as a classroom suppliment.

I'm currently studying C++ on my own using an online version of Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (I'm too cheap). Anyone recommend it? Thus far, it's pretty nice but not very in-depth (luckily I have some programming experience) and it's convenient that I can easily copy code examples and revise them, etc.

well i think i will go with "C++ from the Ground Up", unless anyone thinks c++ how to program has more information. Also like before, thanks for all your help :) :)