• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Sharing a cable connection through a phone line?

Question

Prof. Frink    0

Ok here's the deal. My little brothers computer is in his room, and he's using a free trial of AOL to get on the internet since his computer doesnt have a NIC. Its an old one, running win95. My computer is connected via cable. What i want to know is, can he use the modem in his computer to connect to a 56k modem in my computer so that i can share the cable with him? I'm short on cash and have more important things than buying a router, etc.

16 answers to this question

December2001    0

yes, you can, just hit help & support under start, you'll find everything about that kind of connection there.

MxxCon    0

best you can hope for is 33.6k

your 56k modem is designed to recieve at 56k, not send...if you can't spend $20 on a NIC you are in big $ trouble...

Prof. Frink    0
Originally posted by MxxCon

best you can hope for is 33.6k

your 56k modem is designed to recieve at 56k, not send...if you can't spend $20 on a NIC you are in big $ trouble...

i need to save every possible penny for college. I'm not spending $20 on my brother, atleast im considering sharing MY cable with him.

Malechai    120
Originally posted by Prof. Frink

i need to save every possible penny for college. I'm not spending $20 on my brother, atleast im considering sharing MY cable with him.

My first instinct was that you couldn't do what you described. Just to reiterate to make sure I have you right, you want your brother to connect to your PC by phone modem, but share your cable connection across it right? I just talked to a guy here at work and he just spouted off a ton of technical crud that I couldn't repeat even if I tried. Short end of it was that he said you can do it (*insert how-to here*), but you're best off getting a NIC and router to share the cable.

Prof. Frink    0
Originally posted by Spyder

My first instinct was that you couldn't do what you described. Just to reiterate to make sure I have you right, you want your brother to connect to your PC by phone modem, but share your cable connection across it right? I just talked to a guy here at work and he just spouted off a ton of technical crud that I couldn't repeat even if I tried. Short end of it was that he said you can do it (*insert how-to here*), but you're best off getting a NIC and router to share the cable.

Well, i did what XP told me to do, and it looks like his hardware isnt up to the task. He's getting a new computer this summer anyway if his grades stay up and im sure my dad will toss in a router for him. I just wanted to free him from the grasp of AOL for the time being. Oh well...

EmuZombie    139

hmm.... I have a pile of 10mbps nics sitting next to me... along with a pile of 56k winmodems...

4 10mbps nics and 5 56k winmodems... heh... it's surprising what you can salvage out of old computers your work has no use for anymore

MxxCon    0

Well, i did what XP told me to do, and it looks like his hardware isnt up to the task. He's getting a new computer this summer anyway if his grades stay up and im sure my dad will toss in a router for him. I just wanted to free him from the grasp of AOL for the time being. Oh well...

all you need to do on your bro's machine is configure it to dail up with out dail tone, and tell it to use dhcp...every other config should be done on your end.

Big Booger    0

Generic

Networking

3/21, 5:00 PM

ADMTEK CHIPSET AN983B 10/100MBPS PCI NIC ETHERNET CARD AUTO NEGOTIATION RJ45port RETAIL BOX .

(Part - NWCOMPCAN983B)

$ 4 $8.95 UPS GROUND AccessMicro.com

800-906-6868

949-851-8128

CA

WALMART SPECIAL

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...%3A4139%3A47605

16.00 netgear NIC

come on man, 12-16 bucks????? That would not even buy your paper for 1 week in college. hahahaha

Give your bro a break, after all it sounds like your his big bro, so I think you should spare that for him.

http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com/phone-network.htm

you could try this if you have the right stuff. HPNA cards etc...

http://howstuffworks.lycoszone.com/power-network.htm

another good way to network computers.

I know none of this addresses your issue, but its something to think about!

You are also going to need a crossover cable around 8 bucks

House Brand

Cables

2/26/2002 5:48:31 PM

CAT5 25FT CROSSOVER CABLE CAT5 25FT ETHERNET RJ45 CROSSOVER CABLE

(Part - CCRJ4525X )

$ 5 FROM 4.55 Cable Connections

877-416-4971

216-328-2284

OH

Once you have that get analog X's proxy server and you are in business!

ALl together it would cost less than 25 bucks US.

Networked at the full speed of your Cable!

BB

Vinh    0
Originally posted by EmuZombie

hmm.... I have a pile of 10mbps nics sitting next to me... along with a pile of 56k winmodems...

4 10mbps nics and 5 56k winmodems... heh... it's surprising what you can salvage out of old computers your work has no use for anymore

send me a nic card please!!! :D ;)

Big Booger    0

Even cheaper NIC

ASOUND

3/10, 11:4 PM

10/100 pci network MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - 10/100 fast ethernet adapter 8139 realtek chip set $ 2 9

Come on, 2 bucks. HEll I drink 2 bucks worth of sodas everyday!

hehehe

BB

Tim Dorr    0

BB - you're forgetting shipping which makes that more likely to cost close to $10

I can understand where you're coming from man, I know how much importance money has in college when you suddenly lose all sources of income...

Ask you're brother to pay for it, if he gets some sort of allowance, I'm sure he can save for it.

Or you can let him use you're computer ;) :D :D :D

Ren (Killshot)    0

share AOL not possable m8, it is but u gotta do a second dial out 2 do it

Krome    204

He's not sharing AOL... he's sharing cable connection to AOL subscriber line...

Anyways... get a nic card and then do peer-to-peer networking and he would be able still to use his AOL at high speed... you have to get two nic card... 3 nic card altogether... but one on your brother's computer and two on yours... it would help if you have a hub... not a hubby... a hub ok... don't go get the wrong thing.. hahahaha

Prof. Frink    0

If i share my cable with him using a NIC in his computer he's going to steal all my bandwidth :p Thats why i only want to share it with him through a phone line.

Now MxxCon, you said:

all you need to do on your bro's machine is configure it to dail up with out dail tone, and tell it to use dhcp...every other config should be done on your end.

He's running WinME right now instead of 98, I have more experience with 2000/XP than i do with 9x. Can you tell me how to set up what you said on his computer?

If its too much trouble I can always just forget about it. Ive already told him its not gonna work. He can go on using is r33t AOL connection until the free trial expries.

Krome    204

Well.. you can set how much bandwidth he can have...

nemo    0

Ok here's the deal. My little brothers computer is in his room, and he's using a free trial of AOL to get on the internet since his computer doesnt have a NIC. Its an old one, running win95. My computer is connected via cable. What i want to know is, can he use the modem in his computer to connect to a 56k modem in my computer so that i can share the cable with him? I'm short on cash and have more important things than buying a router, etc.

you can get a nic card for $5 at best buy. maybe $6 with tax :D