JAVA API Implementation help

Question

Suppose there is a API called DVDPLAYER which has all the functions of the DVD player and simulates all the functions

and suppose I have a TestFile.java driver file, which when executed calls the methods from the DVDPLAYER class and if implemented correctly should have an output which is already known

how do I go about greating a JAVA file called DVDPLAYER.java from which TestFile.java calls methods from

is there any website or tutorial online which I can use? thanks

13 answers to this question

I'd like to help but I'm not quit sure of your question, according to what i understand from your question here is my suggestion (If i missunderstood you please correct me)

You want a DVDPLAYER.java file which contains the methods that TestFile.java is going to call?

Then create the DVDPLAYER.java file, include in it all the methods and then instantiate it in TestFile.java.

class TestFile{
     public static void main(String args[]){

DVDPLAYER dvd = new DVDPLAYER();
                String examples = dvd.method();
    }
}

well i already have a java file called testjava.java. and i have been provided with the DVD API and have to implement that API into making a class for the testjava.java file

I just want to know of a website or someone who can help me in it. i dont want the whole solution to it, just help in creating classes. thanks

well i already have a java file called testjava.java. and i have been provided with the DVD API and have to implement that API into making a class for the testjava.java file

I just want to know of a website or someone who can help me in it. i dont want the whole solution to it, just help in creating classes. thanks

Creating a class is simple.

import package.you.need.*;

public class DVDPLAYER 
/* extends something */  // used if you want to inherit from a class.  This class becomes of type "something", and can be used wherever class "something" is
/* implements something */  // used if you need to implement an interface.  An interface is a glue between two classes.
{
   public DVDPLAYER() {
      //anything you want to do when a new DVDPLAYER Object is made
   }
   public method1(TYPE args) {
      //TYPE can be any Class or primitive (int,float,etc)
      //fill in the body
   }
}

Whoops, forgot to put that you need a return type in method1.

public TYPE method1(TYPE args) { }

TYPE can be void, int, float, char, String, or any Classes you have access to. If you don't want arguments, put (). You can have multiple arguments, such as method1(TYPE args1, TYPE args2, TYPE args3)

if we use the this(xxxxx) statement to create instances of objects in constructor statements in Class files, can we create 2 instances in one constructor statement?

Yeah i actually got confused with creating packages in java, like does anyone know how it works, i'm pretty sure your .java or .class files go into their folders, based on what you named the the package in your classes, but say within an IDE like Borland JBuilder. How exactly do you import the package? I've even added the classpath for that particular custom package i created.

The IDE is telling this(default_tape_length, tape_Start);

is wrong, i want to implement both default and tapestart in the first constructor, how do i do this?

thanks

import java.util.Random;

public class VCR

{

public final static int TAPE_START = 1;
  public final static int DEFAULT_TAPE_LENGTH = 180;
      public final static int DEFAULT_REVERSE_LENGTH = 1;
      public final static int DEFAULT_PLAY_DURATION = 30;

private int sequenceLength;
  private int currentLength;

public VCR()
      {
    this(DEFAULT_TAPE_LENGTH, TAPE_START);
  }  

public VCR(int length)
      {
 	 if(length > 0)
 	 {
    sequenceLength = length;
 	 }
 	 else
 	 {
    sequenceLength = DEFAULT_TAPE_LENGTH;
 	 }
 	 currentLength = 1;
      }

public boolean play() 
      {

}

public boolean play(int time)
      {
      }

public boolean reverse()
      {
      }

public boolean fastreverse(int jump)
      {
      }

public void rewind()
      {
      }

public void setlength(int length)
  {  
      }

public int getLength()
      {
      }

public int getCurrent()
      {
      }

}

The IDE is telling this(default_tape_length, tape_Start);

is wrong, i want to implement both default and tapestart in the first constructor, how do i do this?

thanks

What do you mean you want to implement them? I don't see any constructor with 2 arguments, so that may be your problem. Just add another constructor.