MSN and V.92

I Feel bad for all these new v.92 people who expect better performance out of these modems, which is promised, this is true...

BUT NOT 1 Damn ISP in the US is going to plan/support v.92, if anyone it would be AOL or MSN..and both of these companies, are really pusing their DSL or Cable connectivities. don't expect v.92 to ever actually be implementated, it would cost companies millions to switch all their systems to these new ones. your better off getting cable/dsl/sat if you can.

v92 is just a standard, its not an "actual" thing thats going to be widely adapted anytime soon.

BUT NOT 1 Damn ISP in the US is going to plan/support v.92, if anyone it would be AOL or MSN..and both of these companies, are really pusing their DSL or Cable connectivities. don't expect v.92 to ever actually be implementated, it would cost companies millions to switch all their systems to these new ones. your better off getting cable/dsl/sat if you can
Yeah... but since new computers are shipping with V.92 modems, then alot of ppl are going to be complaining.

I wish I could get DSL or Cable, but its not available in my area yet :(. And since our phone lines in our neighborhood are so shi*y then I will probably never be able to get it. :(

Oh well... i guess its not a big deal.

that might be because your fone lines are copper (old) instead of fiber optic like new homes and all. *thats what they told me lol

hmm... I hope thats not the reason b/c I don't think our house is going to be fiber optic for a very long time. lol :p

Well thanks for the input. :)

- S h O c K z

You can find more information on v92 including links to ISP lists that support V92 and much more at http://www.vee90.net/v92/

But here's a few highlights to answer questions below:

1. To my knowlege AOL, MSN, EarthLink, Prodigy and United Online (the top 5 ISPs) have yet to actually roll out V92 capabilities. I've heard that some may be beta testing v92 but nothing official yet.

2. If you are not getting a 56k v90 connection to begin with there's a 99.99999% chance you're not going to get a v92 connection because it works on the same level. It is possible that a non 56k connecting v92 modem may give "caller id/call waiting" information but the v92 data on hold abilities would not be possible.

3. Some modem chipset v92 implementations are better than others. USRobotics v92 impementation is not including the v44 compression protocol so it's not going to be remotely as "fast" as all others could be. This said I recommend NO ONE buying or upgrading a USR modem to v92.

4. V92 is being implemented in the US but not nationwide. Small local/regional ISPs are implementing it and are gaining customers from the big 5 for this reason. Unfortunately this is probably only a short term boon for these ISPs because once the big 5 begin implementing v92 then they lose their edge. You can find links to

2 different v92 ISP lists at my site http://www.vee90.net/v92/

5. The current v92 modems being shipped by computer manufactures today tend to be full software based modems. This, IMHO is a bad thing, because these modems have specific issues anyway inherent to the fact that they're software modems. They are not good for gaming or other net related processor intensive applications. These modems include the PCTel HSP/MDC v92 and Conexant HSF V92. The LTWinmodem (Lucent/Agere) v92 seems to be doing quite well as is the Conexant HCF V92. Although they are somewhat software based, they still have some chips onboard the modem card itself to help process the extra information to make them much more stable than the full software ones I mentioned above.

Please check out my site if you would like more info on V92.

http://www.vee90.net/v92/ (v92 section)

http://www.vee90.net/ (main site)

Alex

Webmaster

http://www.vee90.net/

careful...that's bordering spam...

oh, and your site has WAY TOO MANY TABS. it's like amazon.com on crack!

Yeah... but since new computers (like my dell) are shipping with V.92 modems, then alot of ppl are going to be complaining.

But a lot of computers ship with DSL/Cable advertised on them as being ready out-of-box, so their either used to it, or people don't complain *shrug*

Wow! Thanks for that info too! Yeah I got a Conexant HSF V92

I used to have a US Robitics V.90... what a pain. It was werid from the start. When it connected it made weird sounds that were simiar to a spring that bounced. It went really fast but disconnected way to many times.

Well if ISP's are beta testing then thats great.

Oh yeah I went to that website you told me about... somebody at school told me about it too. It had some good info.

Thanks for the info.

quote: thats almost bordering spam...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah... but since new computers (like my dell) are shipping with V.92 modems, then alot of ppl are going to be complaining.

Oops!! I just realized that. I am editing my post to take it off. Sorry.

I remember when my ISP switched from 56k FLEX to 56k V.90...the modem changed sounds and it surprised me. Espically when I upgraded from a Flex to V.90 modem...amazing I even had a provider that wanted to upgrade right away afer V.90 came out.

I won't be upgrading my Courier V.Everything External as I don't think it can be plus I use Cable now..I keep my analogs for some other purposes.