[VB.NET] Links and Buttons

Question

I don't know how to put a link on buttons and links in VB .net, can anyone help me out?.... ;)

Thanks! :D

Edited by gerry.74

15 answers to this question

In VB.Net there is a Link URL custom control, in VB, youll need to declare a ShellExec function

Nope, you cannot save your program so it doesn't work without .NET...

In VB.Net there is a Link URL custom control, in VB, youll need to declare a ShellExec function

How do you do that? ShellExec function? I am very new at this.

Nope, you cannot save your program so it doesn't work without .NET...

But why? :cry: Do I need VB 6?

How do you do that? ShellExec function? I am very new at this.

I'll give you the quick way so nobody blasts me for being inefficient. ;) :p

System.Process.Start( yourLinkLabel.Text )

That works if your Text property is the actual URL you want to navigate to. If you store the URL text in a Link's LinkData property, it's a little more involved.

But why? :cry: Do I need VB 6?

Well, the executable you create when you compile you .NET app isn't really an executable in the traditional sense. It's a stub of intermediate language that the .NET framework JIT(just-in-time) compiles to machine specific binary executable code. Also, the supporting libraries are contained in the framework.

VB 6.0, while compiling to a native binary executable, still requires a runtime, but it is included in the OS since Windows 2000(I believe). Earlier OSes still need to have the MSVBVM60.dll.

That works if your Text property is the actual URL you want to navigate to. If you store the URL text in a Link's LinkData property, it's a little more involved.

Can I do that with buttons?

I don't know the code side yet, I need someone to show me where to go with the GUI ;)

Thanks for your help!

I need someone to show me where to go with the GUI ;)

I told you I am new :p :shifty:

So, you just want a button that will launch a URL? I guess I was misunderstanding you. That code will work inside a click event of a button. You'll only need to provide the url in the Start method's arguments.

' inside you click handler
    System.Process.Start( "www.neowin.net" ) ' for example
End Sub

Title edited

^ Report it next time :yes: Or maybe you did, I'm not the moderator for this forum, so I wouldn't see it :unsure:

Thanks! :D

So, you just want a button that will launch a URL? I guess I was misunderstanding you. That code will work inside a click event of a button. You'll only need to provide the url in the Start method's arguments.

I want to like steps but in one program, so you click "next" and it goes to the next form..

I never use that...

... cuz in "System" namespace is no "Process"...

The right code:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(yourLinkLabel.Text)

-- or of cource --

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("https://www.neowin.net")

I never use that...

... cuz in "System" namespace is no "Process"...

The right code:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(yourLinkLabel.Text)

-- or of cource --

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("https://www.neowin.net")

Is that for:

So I have my project open, so I added Window form and I have set up the welcome form. Than I added the button, and name it "Next", then I added another Window form, now how do I link them, so when I hit "Next" it goes to the next form. :D

ah i see. if the first form is form1 and the next is form2, try (just doubleclick the button to get the procedure with Handles written out for you)

Private Sub Button1_Click() Handles blah
      Form2.Show
      Me.Hide
End Sub

ah i see. if the first form is form1 and the next is form2, try (just doubleclick the button to get the procedure with Handles written out for you)

Private Sub Button1_Click() Handles blah
 ? ? ?Form2.Show
 ? ? ?Me.Hide
End Sub

Thanks for your help, you save me a lot of tim:D... :D