Convincing boss: C++ to C#/.Net

Question

I work for a non-profit organization developing a software solution for both desktop and PocketPC. The product was developed using C++/MFC. Being the sole programmer here I have a certain amount of influence on the development path but I can't simply justify changing development platforms just for the sake of using a different technology. I would like to switch over to C#/.Net - in all honesty - for personal gain. I want to broaden my skills, learn something new, make myself more marketable for future jobs, and I see a lot of jobs today that require .Net experience.

So how would I go about convincing my project managers to allow me to use .Net as oppose to sticking with what is working pretty well currently? I have a fairly intermediate understanding of the .Net platform and tools, but if the situation was reverse I would do a better job convincing them to stick with old-school C++ programming than .Net. What business advantages does .Net offer that would make it more attractive to use? I myself understand the technical merits, but I don't expect management to understand them at the level that I do. I'd have to speak "business talk."

Thoughts?

10 answers to this question

If you were for a non-profit organization, like i have done in the past, computers may be old and not even have 2000/XP on em. So you will have issues with getting the framework installed on all the clients who use your apps. Just something to think about.

The problem is a lot of the good points you can bring up wouldn't mean anything to him (better class model, exception handling, etc...)

Since the code runs in the CLR, it's managed, which means you have direct control over it's security.

In general, the .NET language offers much easier RAD (rapid application development) features, which makes rolling out new features much easier / faster

I think we can all agree that the .NET framework is the best platform to develop on, but sometime's it's hard to convince someone with little technical knowledge to move from something that works to something that's new :p

Good luck. I'm glad my current job embraces .NET and other Microsoft technologies.

I think that until you yourself believe that there is a substantial benefit for the company to move to .NET, you won't be able to convince your boss...

Just something to think about ;)

Maybe you could show him the C# IDE for about 10-20 mins and have him drag some controls on a form and make a simple calculator or something else that uses very little code :p Then, he'll see how easy it is and he'll be impressed with it (Y)

Maybe you could show him the C# IDE for about 10-20 mins and have him drag some controls on a form and make a simple calculator or something else that uses very little code :p Then, he'll see how easy it is and he'll be impressed with it (Y)

You could do essentially the same with MFC, though.

I think the only measurable benefit is development cycle reduction. See if your boss will let you do a prototype in C#.

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I think JJ6829 made a very important point: even though we may be high tech in the office, our partners might not be as up-to-date on technology. I have enough support calls as it is, I don't need more. On the other hand it might just be something news worthy to report about publicly, I don't mean like local newspapers, but within the circle of NPOs.

On the other hand it might just be something news worthy to report about publicly, I don't mean like local newspapers, but within the circle of NPOs.

Definitely. You could document the difference in development/deployment/support, etc and submit a case study to Microsoft, IT Toolbox, or other publications. A lot of folks are always on the lookout for good case studies that support .NET. And it gets your company recognition.

If java something totally out of the question?

In theory, no. It's doable, but I'd had to make heavy use of JNI. I have no desire to pursue Java. It would lose ground to technical merits of just making a hardcore C++ program.