I need something to program!

Question

Ok, I just got VS.Net installed (got it for free from a VS.Net launch event, too!)

Now, I need some sort of project to get started on. Does anyone have any programs they'd like to see (nothing overly complex), so I can start on something.

I have all this power, I just don't know what to do with it.... :D

18 answers to this question

A program that when you run it, it hides *all* windows, then unloads. And another one to bring them all back.

Or, if you don't want to do that, do one of these:

? make a program that loads, does something, and unloads

? or has a really nice interface

Some stuff on making good apps

here

huh?

oh, must be the .Net crap :p

sorry, you might as well download that now, so you can avoid it in the future. there's gonna be a lot of programs that need it...

yeah, i had that prob too on a friend's machine, so you'll need to install the .Net Framework to run it...

I know it's a b!tching-ly large download, but you'll probably end up needing it in the future with the whole .Net thing taking off, so you might as well grab it now...

Sorry, didn't know C# was a .Net only language :p

Make a game of pong. The mouse is the ball. Use keys to move the padels. Have it display on the desktop. Have the padels and the balls semi-transaperent. (I'm working on it right now ;))

timdorr its good now.. 2 more request on it.

*it gos on desktop transparent. like desktop weather.

*the dialog that ask for time offset... make it so it so u can type in a country too... i dont want 5 times.. i wouldnt know which clock is which country

*make it save settings to a text file or something, becuz i dont want to enter info everytime i reboot.

zivan56:

I noticied that too. I thought it was just my machine. I made a (very) small app that shows one form and that's it. It loaded about 5 times as slow as the same one with VB6. Odd....

here's why .Net stuff takes so long to load.

when you compile your program in VS.Net, it's compiling to a language called IL (Intermediate Language). This is a system independant language (think java bytecodes) that is then compiled at run-time by the .Net CLR (Common Language Run-Time). It's sorta like how VB used to work, but it's encompasses a LOT more functionality so the downside is a delay on startup because the program is compiled. Luckily, there is a sort of cache, so if you build your executable, run it once, then run it again, you'll notice there is no delay the next time.

It's all part of .Net's language indepedence plan. I like being able to make a class in C# and extend it in a VB.Net class. That's just TOO cool!

Vinh: yeah, i'm here 24/7/365 :D

The setting will be easy, but the the transparent part might be a bitch... :p

Also, I'll need to look up some country times....

Actually the delay is from having to load the 21MB framework... the compilation is actually really fast (especially for a 24k program). And yes, the framework is cached, but this is just the normal Windows disk cache at work.

AFAIK, .NET apps are recompiled every time they are run.

The 21mb won't be loaded. All class libraries including compilers and base debug tools make up the 21megs. :right:

It's 4 megs max to load if only System.dll is used.

And the apps ARE cached. When the compiler runs it matches the GUID in the MSIL code with the cache, if it's there it doesn't compile.

Sorry, I meant the delay is from having to load [part of] the 21MB framework (including the CLR, the compiler and the libraries).

It's unlikely that only System.dll is going to be needed; System.Windows.Forms, System.Drawing and System.IO are also going to be needed for any non-trivial app.

There are "base debug tools" in the redistributable?