Programmer needed - $$$$$

Question

I need to do something pretty simple but I dont really know how to do it. I can't pay much, hows $20?

All i need is a small program that will convert EITHER (both would be nice) of the attached 2 files in .html and .adgt to Excel.

In excel, the data must be seperated in the appropriate columns.

The interface to the program should be simple

Select file to covert

(place to enter file path (search feature as well)

Select path to convert to

(place to enter file path (search feature as well)

I will pay the money after i have tested the program AND received the source code.

thanks

PS: If multiple people send me this program I will use one I like and pay them. Also, I will ahve to test it on more files on Monday when I get into work, so you probably wont see payment until Monday.

files.zip

Edited by Remote

18 answers to this question

I don't think it's too hard though.

As one would simply have to generate an xml doc out of your data an voila - done.

BUT: I have no idea what .adgt is supposed to be Exel (at least the last time i used it V.6 or so) it used .xls files.

And $20... c'mon! you must be kidding.

I'd estimate the time to write that tool to about 60 to 180 minutes. Given that there are useful API's for this .adgt thingy.

Wich would in return be something like $40 to $120.

kindest regards,

Moritz "neofeed" Angermann.

PS: I'll take a look at it tomorrow, if I find time to play with it. Maybe I get something for you done up to Sunday Night (+0200).

Well unless you provide working example sources. There is NO WAY.

you HTML source looks like:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--

.TransTable {
        background-color:lightgrey;
        border-width:20px;
        font:Times;
        border-color:darkblue;
    }
    .EvenRow {
        background-color:white;
        border-width:0px;
        font-size:8pt;
    }
    .OddRow {
        background-color:lightblue;
    }
    .Navigation {
        font:Arial;
        font-style:Bold;
    }
    .HeaderRow {
        background-color:darkgrey;
        color:white;
        font:Arial;
        font-style:Bold;
    }
--></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
******************************* Report Summary *********************************
   Application:                                                  BeneCTL 1.0.130
Date Generated:                                             7/23/2004 5:10:01 PM
      Computer:                                                  WBENDTP-JNQ8811
          User:                                                           jmaier

Statistics:
                                                Errors:              1 (100.00%)
                                              Warnings:              0   (0.00%)
                                           Information:              0   (0.00%)
                                             Successes:              0   (0.00%)
                                                 Total:              1 (100.00%)
********************************************************************************
<table cellpadding='1' cellspacing='1' width='100%' class='TransTable'>
    <tr class='HeaderRow'>
<TH width='20'> </TH>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Date&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Date</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Time&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Time</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Source&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Source</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Status&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Status</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=ERCaption&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Employer</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=EECaption&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Employee</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Caption&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Caption</a></th>
        <th><a href=&&ResultsSort=Description&ResultsSortMethod=Asc>Description</a></th>
    </tr>
    <tr class='OddRow'>
<TH width='20'> </TH>
        <td>7/23/2004</td>
        <td>3:56:15 PM</td>
        <td>Script EmployeeErtsScript1</td>
        <td>Error</td>
        <td></td>
        <td></td>
        <td>Unexpected text.</td>
        <td>Error ''  (Unexpected text.) occurred on line 28 from  while executing the following code:
---------------
        Dim objMedPlan                  As BMOPlan sdaf
---------------</td>
</tr>
    <tr>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
         <th> </th>
</tr>
</table>
</BODY>
</HTML>

the .adtg file looks about the same.

The extracted strings say:

Script EmployeeErtsScript1
Error
Unexpected text.
Error ''  (Unexpected text.) occurred on line 28 from  while executing the following code:
---------------
        Dim objMedPlan                  As BMOPlan sdaf
---------------
Error

interesting?! annoying!

kindest regards,

Moritz "neofeed" Angermann

Yeah what's an adgt file? The html file seems bad too.

Edit: Opening the other file in notepad seems to have the same contents as well as a lot of jibberish.

Well, basically, the program we use at my company displays a recordset. Now, we can save this recordset as adgt (a microsoft database file), xml, html, or txt.

Now, the problem is manytimes this recordset is populated with 50,000 or more records and we need to put this into a readable format in excel so we can sort and manage it with ease. Currently we copy and paste it into excel and then try our best to use text to columns because it will paste into one cell. As, when we have many record sets it may take upto an hour to copy them all then paste them.

Now it only takes seconds to save it to .txt .adgt etc. and it would be nice if i had a simple program to convert the saved file into excel.

I guess i can fork out some more cash for a nice product, maybe 35?

any help would be great. thanks!

What would the version of Excel need to be, minimum? I could do this for your for free. I can work on it this tomorrow. Probably have a version for you to try in a short time.

What would the version of Excel need to be, minimum? I could do this for your for free. I can work on it this tomorrow. Probably have a version for you to try in a short time.

Im not sure what you mean by minimum. Size? that wont matter, as big or small as you need.

Version? Excel 97 or higher.

Also, the data that is there now is just crap data, the real data will be employees with ssn and all, and i certianly couldnt post that. but the column headings will be constant.

any help will be great and much appriciated.

It's not the file version I'm concerned about. Excel's object model changes from version to version, so I have to write for the lowest version. Going forward, it should work in newer versions.

Well, basically, the program we use at my company displays a recordset. Now, we can save this recordset as adgt (a microsoft database file), xml, html, or txt.

Now, the problem is manytimes this recordset is populated with 50,000 or more records and we need to put this into a readable format in excel so we can sort and manage it with ease. Currently we copy and paste it into excel and then try our best to use text to columns because it will paste into one cell. As, when we have many record sets it may take upto an hour to copy them all then paste them.

Now it only takes seconds to save it to .txt .adgt etc. and it would be nice if i had a simple program to convert the saved file into excel.

I guess i can fork out some more cash for a nice product, maybe 35?

any help would be great. thanks!

you can export as xml?

Export as XML and gimme that XML file.

It won't be too hard to generate youa nice HTML or xls like file from that.

BUT: your Sceenshot you attached does also look quite bad :(

please give us a real set of data not some `ERROR' stuff ...

kindest regards,

Why can't you export the data as XML and just use the Import External Data function of Excel?

edit:

OK, that's Excel 2003. You can import text files in the Data\Get External Data menu in 2000. Also, you can specify a query from an ODBC source. There are a lot of options for you other than writing another program.

What's your data source?

Edited by weenur

Hello. Well, I have a couple of programs that take xml files and insert the data into Microsoft office. They would need some manipulation for your situation, mostly just changing some strings. Simple stuff. They both do the same thing, but one is in java and the other is in c#. Do you have a preference? I'll take a look after a take your xml schema and create some sample data. Now, you only need the data that you showed in the screenshot correct? I ask this because your file has more. Later.

Hey,

Yea, so it apears that if you import html files into excel then it works perfectly.

Now, I just need to fine a way to convery xml into html cause there is some data that i can only save as .xml

Thank you for your help, it always seems to be simple when you get the solution.

hey Remote.

I told you how to do the xml to html thingy yesterday ;) I hoped it helped :/

kindest regards,