[MLB] NYY @ BOS

gL4c4XNa.jpg

BOSTON -- The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry added yet another chapter of maximum intensity. The latest came on Saturday afternoon at Fenway Park, when a bench-clearing fight evolved after Boston's Bronson Arroyo plunked Yankees star Alex Rodriguez in the left arm on a pitch in the top of the third inning.

The Yankees held a 3-0 lead and the bases had just become empty on a double play when Arroyo's third offering to A-Rod hit the third baseman.

Rodriguez was agitated as he began walking to first, and Jason Varitek followed him a few steps up the line. Then the pair exchanged words and then they shoved each other.

Varitek and Rodriguez both wound up being ejected after the umpires conferred.

Both benches emptied immediately after the Varitek and A-Rod shoving match. Yankees right-hander Tanyon Sturtze, who started the game for New York, emerged to the first base side of the field and was tackled by Boston outfielder Gabe Kapler. David Ortiz and Trot Nixon then joined the fracas with Sturtze, who emerged with his face bloodied.

Sturtze stayed in the game and took the mound for the bottom of the third. However, Sturtze didn't start the fourth and left the game after he suffered a bruised right pinky finger. He was taken for precautionary X-rays.

Doug Mirabelli replaced Varitek on the Boston side, and Enrique Wilson came on for Rodriguez.

The Red Sox and Yankees have engaged in acts of hostility before. The most memorable fight between the two teams came on May 20, 1976 at Yankee Stadium. That fight was started when Lou Piniella collided at home plate with Sox catcher Carlton Fisk.

In Game 3 of last October's American League Championship Series, Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez hit Karim Garcia on the back of the helmet, setting off several melees that day, though there were no punches thrown in that game.

foAI4s6v.jpg

For more information, go to http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_nyy&fext=.jsp

Final Score

BOS 11 NYY 10

lol nice.. atleast this provides some action in baseball ;)

I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I tell, Boston played their hearts out! That was one of the best games I've ever watched!

Only 3 full innings had no score!

yankees suck!!  :shifty:  :whistle:

Funny, last time I checked, no other team had as many World Series as the Yankees, or ACLS wins. Also, they are 8.5 games ahead of the second place team in the AL! Well, if that sucks, I hope they keep sucking :laugh:

Maybe this will ignite the Red Sox so they can start making a run at the division. Seeing them 8 1/2 games back makes me sick, especially when they started off the season hot and the Yankees had problems.

Unfortunately, reality will strike and the curse will prevail. Last year's playoffs indicated this quite well, both for the Red Sox and the Cubs.

Go A's!!

Well, no matter how much I love the Yankees, I wouldn't be upset if Boston won. Boston is an awesome team and they deserve to win!

Not all Yankee fans are jerks, my entire family are full of Yankee fans and we'll give credit where credit is deserved!

fighting the catcher, good call. The guy with all the padding and a big thick glove, that's who I wanna rumble with.

Actually it started out with BOS hitting AROD and he said something back to the pitcher. The catcher ran half way down to first base where AROD was, AROD said "**** YOU" and Varitek hit him in the face. After that, both teams went crazy fighting each other!

I do agree that AROD shouldn't have said anything, but Varitek is the one who throw the first punch which shouldn't have happened!

Actually it started out with BOS hitting AROD and he said something back to the pitcher. The catcher ran half way down to first base where AROD was, AROD said "**** YOU" and Varitek hit him in the face. After that, both teams went crazy fighting each other!

I do agree that AROD shouldn't have said anything, but Varitek is the one who throw the first punch which shouldn't have happened!

umm didnt arod drop the f-bomb a few times before varitek really said anything to him in defense of his pitcher? any catcher in the world would ahve done the same thing for their pitcher. and the fact varitek went half way down the line doesnt matter, if arod is still yapping halfway down the line then y would the catcher walk away while the guy is still yelling at his pitcher? i dont look to assign blame to either sides because i think they all were chippy and it was bound to happen.

Yes, AROD did say something first! But Varitek could have walked away ... AROD shouldn't have said anything, I'll agree to that! But Varitek should have just walked away!

Varitek wouldn't walk away because he's protecting his pitcher, he was just doing his job and when A-Rod started swearing at him, I would've popped him too.

Varitek punched/pushed/whatever Rodriguez because he was talking ****...I don't think he's gonna let him just say whatever he wants. Had A-Rod not said a word and just walked to first base like he should've, nothing would have happened.

:huh:

but if arod is still running his yap then u still have to protect ur pitcher! like i said do u actually expect varitek to just walk away and let arod run his mouth? this is competition and for him to walk away from protecting his pitcher against the YANKEES of all teams would be him getting punk'd! and THAT aint gonna happen!

Plus, if Varitek had pushed me, I would have walked away. Or run at the pitcher. Why, of all people, would you want to fight the catcher! Of course, as Zimmerman showed, the Yankees don't have much fighting sense/

Well, as a Cardinal fan for over 30 years, I'm not much of a Yankee fan ;)

As for Boston, it would be nice to see them "win it all" along with the poor Cubbies.

Everyone loves an underdog.

I like to rib my yankee fan friends telling them that 80+ million dollars and they

STILL can't win a world series LOL

:alien:

Varitek punched/pushed/whatever Rodriguez because he was talking ****...I don't think he's gonna let him just say whatever he wants. Had A-Rod not said a word and just walked to first base like he should've, nothing would have happened.

:huh:

Maybe if the damn pithcer hadn't have hit AROD, AROD wouldn't have said anything :huh: DUH!

Does anyone have a video of the fight at Boston between Arod and Jason Varitek(I WANT THE VIDEO). ty in advance. :yes: go YANKS

<---look at my name

tx_varitek_arod_ap.jpg

Emotion got all into it. If Alex and Jason Varitek got in a real fight, my moneys on A-rod.

Edited by nyczbrian