[VB] Owner Drawn Menu Help

Question

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any guides out there for some sort of step by step to creating owner drawn menus in VB(6). I see tons of stuff around for C++ and some for VB.net, but I'm a little lost when looking at them. I'm fairly new to VB programming, but I'm liking it so far. I'd like to learn the basics behind owner drawn menus because I made a program that uses a tray icon which has a popup with program shortcuts that the user can create. I'd like those shortcuts to have the program's icon - I got to the point where I can extract out the program's icon dynamically, pop it into an imagelist and then convert those icons to bitmaps and place them in the menu using setmenuitembitmaps api (which is a bad way of doing it since it's really for checkmarks and stuff like that).

I figure owner-drawn menus are the way to go, but I'm so damn lost when I look at them, so again - if anyone knows a good site to learn them in vb6, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

their site is great - they have tons of activex tools - but I always have trouble with their controls. I can't get any of them to work - even if i register the ocx or dll with regsvr32 it still gives me errors - anything I'm doing wrong? And if so, will this give my end-users problems with the compiled exe's?

Thanks!

Well, to be honest, I wasn't expecting that you'd use what they had except as a reference to write your own. I haven't used their stuff in a long time, so I don't have a lot of recent firsthand knowledge. You should email Steve (steve@vbaccelerator.com) with your problems.