Microsoft SQL Server listening port

Question

6 answers to this question

While on the topic of MS SQL Server: When I installed MS SQL Server Express Beta 1 I noticed it used 50MB of RAM. Is this normal or was it a leak ?

Ill download Beta 2 and see if it is still using 50MB, cause otherwise I will use MySQL,

While on the topic of MS SQL Server: When I installed MS SQL Server Express Beta 1 I noticed it used 50MB of RAM. Is this normal or was it a leak ?

Ill download Beta 2 and see if it is still using 50MB, cause otherwise I will use MySQL,

I'm thinking this may be because of the .NET integration. Before you get all angry at .NET, read:

When you run an application that uses the .NET framework, it allocates a large portion of memory to that application. That memory is optimized and managed for better performance. However, if you start running out of memory for other applications, it will reduce it's managed memory allocation as far as it needs to.

Therefore, the fact that it's using 50MB just goes to show you don't even need the memory, and shouldn't be worrying :D

Well, I have no choice.

Try running the server and looking at it's memory usage. Then try running a game, or severl instances of Word, or SOMETHING that would take a large amount of RAM (how much do you have). Notice how SQL Server Yukon's memory usage goes down as you reach your maximum physical memory.