WinXP Product Activation

I intent to upgrade to WinXP.

Question Can I install the upgrade onto my desktop and my laptop and still be able to activate both computers.

I hope ms will not expect me to purchase 2 WinXP Pro versions to do this.Thanks for any assistance

Big arguement happening in the office now, because no one else claims to have heard him say this.

I cant actually find anything in the pro-eula.

Can anyone prove that this is allowed?

Jon

'You may install, use, access,

display and run one copy of the Product on a single

computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device

("Workstation Computer").'

Thats what the 100% official MS RTM's EULA says.

I'm sure i've heard it said that you can install on a laptop as well.

Need proof so i dont look wrong! :)

Jon

Is every Activation key unique?

If so, then it most probably can't be done.

EDIT:

"You may install the Product on your

computers, solely for purposes of demonstration, testing,

examination and evaluation of the Product."

A quote from the eula.txt file in my system32 dir. It seems that in the testing versions (I have 2600), you could install it on more than one computer. But, every computer still has to be activated.

Maybe activation keys aren't unique? :s

Question Can I install the upgrade onto my desktop and my laptop and still be able to activate both computers.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svf...ethic071201.htm ,Q/A #1, I know it applies to OFFICE XP, but since MS is saying its ok for that, would it not be ok for Windows XP? Having a backup copy of the OS on another machine, just in case.

Difference is they *clearly* state, openly, that you can do this with officexp, where as there is no mention with winxp.

I'm still convinced i've read this somewhere, and the MS dude said it was allowed.

they will charge you for another license, the will on another pc why would you laptop be different? you may be discounted up to a whopping $30 but ms will want you to pay they won't make exceptions because its a laptop.

I just spoke to the sales department at Microsoft,and after confirmation,by this slaes person he replied:

Yes you will have to pay for 2 copies of WinXP for your desktop and your laptop.So I am going to be penilised for person who use illegal software.

May as well say,stuff you Microsoft and keep both machines running Win200

AFAIK, Office XP has the EULA for which you can install on a desktop PC AND a laptop, but as for Windows XP, think this is what the WPA was invented for, to stop this sort of thing from happening.

And yes, Khujo, Microsoft are going to charge you for an additional copy of Windows XP, heck this is how Bill is going to have more money to stuff in his sock under the bed, just for a rainy day!