[MLB] Giambi may have potentially fatal disease

Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi is undergoing tests for a potentially fatal condition sometimes caused by intestinal parasites, his personal trainer told the Newark Star Ledger.

"He told me, 'I don't care about even hitting .220. I just want to feel better,' " Bob Alejo told the newspaper for a story published in Monday's editions. "He's exhausted, and it's not getting any better."

Giambi is being tested for a parasite called entamoeba histolytica, Alejo said, which can cause a potentially fatal condition called amebiasis. The parasite can be transmitted through water and food, among other ways, and it can embed itself in the intestinal lining, making it undetectable except by very specific tests, according to the Star Ledger's report.

Full Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1846688

I hope he's going to be OK..

Giambi is being tested for a parasite called entamoeba histolytica, Alejo said, which can cause a potentially fatal condition called amebiasis. The parasite can be transmitted through water and food, among other ways, and it can embed itself in the intestinal lining, making it undetectable except by very specific tests, according to the Star Ledger's report.

I knew I didnt drink town water for a reason.

Yeah, I read about that in the newspaper.

Apparently he got it in Japan before the start of the season -- that's why he had lost so much weight (and is continuing to lose a lot of weight, unfortunately).

Not a fan of his, but I don't dislike him, either -- he seems like a nice guy. Hope he gets better!

...you never want to see that happen to a sports star...

Yep, but seeing it happen to normal people is A-OK :)

lol, sorry, I just couldn't resist -- I'm just messing with you :)

i feel for the guy, i hope he makes it out ok.

and i can already see FOX making a big deal about this all through the postseason, just so they have a good story