Windows Update through Firefox?

I want to go to the Windows Update website but it keeps telling me I need IE to open the webpage. I don't like using IE because it's like putting up a welcome sign for spyware and adware that I can't get rid of, no matter how many ad-aware scans I run. So, is there a plugin or something that I can download for Firefox so I can open the Windows Update website?

i'm pretty sure it's not possible, anyway though i dislike IE, can't you use it for a few minutes just to update?

an alternative is to download the patches on the ms site

I can use it for a few minutes - I have to if I want to access the website don't I? :p - but I just went to site and I'm downloading the .net framework... In the short time it took me to scan for updates and start downloading the framework, 3 pop-ups came up. And I'm scanning my system using ad-aware; 10 new items and it's only half finished.

This is why I hate IE... and Microsoft for that matter :rolleyes:

Automatic updates is already enabled, but the auto updates don't show things like the .net framework, which is what I'm tring to download.

Microsoft Windows Update must, by design, be run in Windows on Internet Explorer. However, you can find updates manually on Microsoft's download site.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?titl...ite_Looks_Wrong

Your choices:

1) Use IE only for Windows Update

2) Enable Automatic Updates in Windows

3) Download the patches manually from Microsoft's download site

4) Use something like AutoPatcher to get your updates

:)

I can use it for a few minutes - I have to if I want to access the website don't I? :p - but I just went to site and I'm downloading the .net framework... In the short time it took me to scan for updates and start downloading the framework, 3 pop-ups came up. And I'm scanning my system using ad-aware; 10 new items and it's only half finished.

This is why I hate IE... and Microsoft for that matter :rolleyes:

The adware/spyware popups that you get were already on your system earlier then. They could have been remnants that were not completely removed and are being re-activated when you open IE.

WU obviously doesn't install spyware, so unless your browser's homepage is doing it, the above explanation is really the only thing that applies.

The adware/spyware popups that you get were already on your system earlier then. They could have been remnants that were not completely removed and are being re-activated when you open IE.

WU obviously doesn't install spyware, so unless your browser's homepage is doing it, the above explanation is really the only thing that applies.

Yea I agree... it's not that easy to get malwared through IE. It's still a fairly secure browser, though a minority of sites (and I mean minority) choose to exploit new vulnerabilities before they have the chance to get patched.

Windows Updates should be done through an application of some sort, and not Internet Explorer. Windows can make a program for every little thing except updating itself. Good thing theres always AutoPatcher, can't wait to see what happens with it after SP2 comes out especially.

You can get to the Windows Up-date website using Help and Support.

Click on your "start" button - click on "Help and Support" - (Pick a Task) click on "Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update"

Yea, let me go download some hotfixes so I can get 20 pop ups and while I download, I get 200 spyware items detected.

Blame IE for crap you had there before, makes sense :no:

Windows update requires ActiveX.

Now there is an activex plugin for firefox (click here), I havent tried it myself but it seems the effort it takes to get it working correctly (if you can get it to work at all!) is outweighed by the results.

I want to go to the Windows Update website but it keeps telling me I need IE to open the webpage. I don't like using IE because it's like putting up a welcome sign for spyware and adware that I can't get rid of, no matter how many ad-aware scans I run. So, is there a plugin or something that I can download for Firefox so I can open the Windows Update website?

if you just visit the windows update site you won't get any spyware or adware

I know the WU website doesn't give me spyware or adware. I have spyware/adware on my computer that I cant get rid of, no matter what I try. Everytime I open IE the stuff on my computer must download more spyware or something because when I close IE, even after just having it open for about 30 seconds, there's new stuff on my computer. This is why I don't use IE.

This is using the Neptune plugin to embed IE in a tab. You have to create a dummy Netscape install for it to take.

Of any practical benefit whatsoever?

Probably not.

353037update.jpg

I know the WU website doesn't give me spyware or adware. I have spyware/adware on my computer that I cant get rid of, no matter what I try. Everytime I open IE the stuff on my computer must download more spyware or something because when I close IE, even after just having it open for about 30 seconds, there's new stuff on my computer. This is why I don't use IE.

Have you tried scanning your system with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and HijackThis? Each one usually detects something that the others miss. I'm pretty sure running all three of those and cleaning out your system should solve your problem.

It's not a good idea to let the adware/spyware stay on your system, regardless of whether you use IE or not since it could be running as a background process without your knowledge.