Washington and Berry ---> finally there is justice in the Oscars !!

that just bamboozles me for what berry won the oscar for, really I honestly feel Moulin Rogue star Nicole Kidman deserved the oscar over Berry, Denzel well they were all good nominees there, im glad russel didnt win, I dont think he deserved it so congradulations to Denzel but Berry winning just doesnt sit right with me.

Denzel is a great actor. I've always enjoyed watching him.

About hally Berry, I didn't see the movie but I don't think she all that great.

Washington is a great actor. IMHO deserved the Oscar for his performance in Hurricane. But for Training Day? A film that reinforced every bad racial stereotype (white, black, and hispanic). I agree he was powerful, but in a bad role in a worse film.

Didn't see Monster's Ball so can't comment.

Justice? Was Washington or Berry wronged?

I think if they won for their roles - ROCK ON - thats fantastic and they deserved it.

If, however, they won becasue of their skin colour then BOO the academy sucks.

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Washington is a great actor. IMHO deserved the Oscar for his performance in Hurricane. But for Training Day? A film that reinforced every bad racial stereotype (white, black, and hispanic). I agree he was powerful, but in a bad role in a worse film.

Didn't see Monster's Ball so can't comment.

The Best Actor Oscar is just that, it only rates the actor as an actor, if the Academy thought Training Day was a good film it would have been up for an Oscar, the same goes for the screenplay, and as you know, it wasn't.

The Academy recognized Denzels performance as an actor on that movie, not the movie itself.

Also I do agree that he had other performances that could have won him an Oscar, including The Hurricane, Malcolm X, and possibly a couple of others.

First off its Halle Berry. Seond I think she is a great actress and Denzel is a very good actor. Training Day did suck but he also played the role very good, so if they're going by role and not movie then he deserved it. I didn't see Monsters Ball (couldn't justify since I already saw Swordfish), but from what I heard it was a pretty good movie. Also the Oscars don't mean anything to me personally anyway. They choose crap for movies and they have yet to even acknowledge JIM CARREY. I watch one movie show a year and that is the MTV Movie Awards. And yes since I know you are wondering I'm 19. I know that the Academy Awards and Oscars mean more the the actors but I believe that the Movie Awards represents a wider range of people and their opions. Just my two cents.

I think Russel Crowe Deserved the award. And A lot of other people believe he did to. But didn't get it because other movie companies were mud slinging. Also Nicole Kidmen deserved the oscar to Way better performance the Ms berry. But hey thats life

Originally posted by PM5K

The Best Actor Oscar is just that, it only rates the actor as an actor, if the Academy thought Training Day was a good film it would have been up for an Oscar, the same goes for the screenplay, and as you know, it wasn't.

The Academy recognized Denzels performance as an actor on that movie, not the movie itself.

Also I do agree that he had other performances that could have won him an Oscar, including The Hurricane, Malcolm X, and possibly a couple of others.

I didn't think he was all that great in the role. I said he was powerful but there was no depth to the character or the role and I don't think it deserved the Oscar. He has deserved the Oscar a lot earlier for a lot better work.

Am I the only person that feels it was a bit of a sham? There was a lot of talk before about black actors not getting oscars. Seems like the voters decided to change that and that they got the oscars more based on that. I've never seen a Denzel Washington film and I haven't seen a lot of Holly Berre (sadly ;) ) so prehaps I'm wrong... ...but better performances than Russel Crowe in BM or Nicole Kidman in both Moulin Rouge and The Others? I'd be impressed.

A society which gives black people breaks because white people had got breaks for so long isn't a truely integrated society.

I don't mean to start a race argument here.

Originally posted by blitzkrg

denzel is a great actor.. he's done many many great movies..

berry however.. i thought she was a moron, she stood up there for like 10 minutes crying and balling and making an idiot out of her self..

denzel on the other hand was dignified and respectfull. and got off the stage quickly..

berry however, had to thank her lawyers, and her hair dresser and some old fart down the street.. all while balling and standing there for like 5 min. with her mouth wide open. and people clapped for that crap..

blah..

At first it seemed odd that she was crying, but when you put things into perspective, it's really understandable.

I mean first of all the Oscar is the highest award any actor can get, it's the Larry O'Brien of acting, it's what you as an actor dream of accomplishing, that moment in and of itself, is a great achievement.

Additionally the pride and happiness of being the first African American actress ever to win a best actress award, over a period of 74 years, it is a huge moment, she did something she can say no actor has ever done before, and she can know that somewhere out there an African American actress, maybe just starting out can look to her and dream of accomplishing what she accomplished, it's like looking at Musgy Bogues and saying "yeah I am short, but if Mugsy can do it so can I".

If the impact of that moment doesn't capture your soul and move you, well I won't say anything mean.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I KNOW in my heart Denzel was much more elated than his demeanor showed, and you could really tell by the look on his face that he was hiding a smile the size of Texas.

The one thing you have to understand also is that women are almost always more emotional than men are, especially in public, a man is much less likely to show emotion, but I can guarantee you this, he was just as elated as Halle.

Originally posted by nomis_nehc

lol, I see what kind of oscar you are giving out here.

Heh, anyways, I thought Nicole Kidman was pretty good in Moulin Rouge. And I think she's prettier too, hahaha. (Chun-Tzu: check out Kidman's nude scene, pretty damn sexy if you ask me!)

I have to admin I haven't seen Moulin Rouge so I can't give a fair vote. I'm not into anything that has musical and movie in the same sentence but if there is a nude scene of Nicole Kidman then in the interest of a fair process I will force myself to "review" it. :ponder:

I saw the movie Training Day and I honestly thought it was an OK flick, but not good enough for an Oscar Nomination. I mean get real, Crimsom Tide was a great film and one I think should have been nominated for at least 2 Oscars, but Training Day?...Please. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman both did a hell of a job in Crimsom Tide. They both deserved an Oscar for their performances on that film, especially Denzel.

Actually, Training Day wasn't so good, but John Q. was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

And here, Washington didn't win the award only for one movie, i think he won because of all the great movies he's been in and turned out to be blockbusters.

Sometimes i think that hollywood makes up for oversights from the previous year. There are many people who believed that Russell Crowe should have won a few years ago for The Insider, but he didn't and the next year he won for Gladiator, which a lot of people didn't agree with. To give him the award for two years in a row is a rarity in hollywood. i think it's only happened twice in the history of the oscars. So, although i think his performance in A Beautiful Mind was better than Denzel's, Washington's performance was the safe pick.

There is no way that i can argue with Halle Berry winning the oscar. I saw Monster's Ball and she was riveting in it. It's not the easiest movie to watch, and her character in it isn't easy to like either, she's flawed in very deep ways, but she was amazing in it and surprised the hell out of me. I always thought of her as a very pretty face with an exceptional body, but never as a great actress. However, she was unbelievable in Monster's Ball. I saw all of the best actress performances except for the one who was nominated for Iris and although i thought it was a very close race, i thought Berry should have won, and i was rooting for her.

For you horndogs out there, she is involved in some very explicit love scenes in the movie so that is even further motivation for you to see it. If there was one person who was robbed this year, it was Billy Bob Thornton. He should have been at least nominated in the Best Actor category for Monster's Ball, and maybe should have won.

Anyway...just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.