[MLB] Nomar Traded!

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs in a blockbuster, four-team deal Saturday that also involved shortstops Orlando Cabrera and Alex Gonzalez.

The Red Sox wound up with Cabrera and Minnesota first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz while the Cubs got Garciaparra and minor league outfielder Matt Murton.

Montreal acquired Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris and the Twins got minor league pitcher Justin Jones.

The trade was officially announced shortly after the 4 p.m. EDT deadline for making deals without waivers.

Garciaparra is a five-time All-Star and a two-time AL batting champion, and is in the final year of his contract. The trade brought an end to his stellar career in Boston, one which was overshadowed for the past year by trade rumors and an injury.

"I think he will bring a ton to the table and a presence on the field and off,'' Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "You never go to work thinking he's going to be available.''

Last winter, after Garciaparra rejected a four-year, $60 million extension, the Red Sox tried furiously to acquire Alex Rodriguez from Texas to play shortstop. Although it would have been Manny Ramirez going to the Rangers, the Red Sox would have then shipped out Garciaparra, possibly to either the Chicago White Sox or Los Angeles.

Instead, Rodriguez went to the New York Yankees -- to play third base -- and Garciaparra stayed and stewed. Confessing that his feelings were hurt, he said he still wanted to finish his career with the Red Sox.

But the good feelings didn't last through spring training. After eight hitless at-bats, he injured his Achilles tendon and missed 57 games with an injury that was supposed to keep him out a week.

Published but unattributed speculation from within the front office that he was taking his time coming back upset Garciaparra anew before all seemed forgotten when he returned to a series of standing ovations on June 9.

"You never forget that the fans here are just amazing,'' he said then. "I deeply and truly appreciate it. I can't thank them enough.''

Garciaparra, 31, sat out Friday night's game against Minnesota because of soreness. He is batting .321 with 5 home runs and 21 RBI in 38 games this season.

Garciaparra's best season was 1998, when he batted .323 with 35 home runs and 122 RBI.

Cabrera, a former Gold Glove winner, is batting .246 with four home runs and 31 RBIs.

Gonzalez has been injured for much of the season. He's hitting only .222 with three home runs and eight RBIs.

Mientkiewicz is hitting .246 with five homers and 25 RBIs and is known for a good glove, something the Red Sox need at first base.

Great deal for the Cubs. I really thought Nomar would have stayed with the Red Sox's, dispite their problems with each other.

Thats a huge pickup for the Cubs. If anything, I'd thought they'd get Cabrera.

Totally. I'm in Chicago (huge Cubs fan) and I'm totally excited. My parents are going tomorrow, so if they get to see Maddux's 300th and Nomar debut, I'll be ****ed. But happy for them, heh. :D

Thats a huge pickup for the Cubs.  If anything, I'd thought they'd get Cabrera.

Holy Cow...the Cubs just ROBBED the Sox....what a trade!!! And to think just yesterday the rumor had it Nomar for Gonzalez and Clement....

^Actually, they didn't get robbed, they gained. Nomar declined a 4 year extension and he was to become a free agent at this seasons end. The Red Sox would've really lost if they didn't trade him. At least they got 2 players in return for one who was going to leave for free.

As a sox fan I hate to see him go, but he was leaving in 2 months anyway and he is damaged goods though since his achilles injury is still lingering. Now let's see if the Cubbies can sign him before the end of the season. Meanwhile the Sox pick up two decent defensive infielders, which they so desperately need for the stretch run. So long, Nomar and thanks for the memories.

i hope he explodes and causes even more damage via the "boston curse" :devil:

he's going from one curse to another curse, that sucks.

lets hope he has some holy water :geek:

What a shocker!! But screw Boston and may the curse live for long. They should have kept him and sent Pedro instead. Pedro is the one I think is losing his touch. He was responsible for the debacle last year and I still think that Boston is barely going to make it to the playoffs.

Nomar is overrated in my opinion. He's a great player stats-wise, but not an impact player. Maybe a new team will light his fire, though.

That's right...a career .320 hitter. Man. He is overrated. Those deceptive stats. :laugh:

Jim Hendry has pulled off a miracle, cubs get nomar without giving up Clement

Great day for the North Siders

Yes it is....Good to see management wants to finally win. This was a great pickup...and like I said...without Clement...that is pure genius.

that was the greatest day of my life this year. wild card here we come!! i'm so glad we only lost gonzo....he pretty much sucked...