Great African American Actors

I can't tell you how happy I was for Denzel Washington who won his first Best Actor Oscar.

Personally I think he has deserved the award before, he has been in some great movies:

John Q

Training Day

Remember the Titans

The Hurricane

He Got Game

The Siege

Courage Under Fire

Crimson Tide

The Pelican Brief

Philadelphia

Malcolm X

Glory

Now of course there were other movies, some I didn't like much at all (The Preachers Wife) and some that I thought the script had a great idea, but didn't follow through (Fallen), but these above are some of the best.

He was nominated for The Hurricane for his rols as Ruben "Hurricane" Carter, while I thought the movie wasn't great, I thought Denzels performance was.

He was also nominated for Malcolm X, words can't describe the job he did in that movie.

I can't understand how he hasn't been nominated for others, his performance in Philapelphia was only outshined by the gripping performance of Tom Hanks, he was also terriffic in Courage Under Fire, and Crimson Tide had me at the edge of my seat for almost the entire film.

A large percentage of his films were very good if not great, The Pelican brief was a good movie, and Denzel was good in it, not great, but it was a movie worth watching, like some others.

I've heard great things about his acting in John Q, I hope to see it soon.

At first I couldn't understand why Halle Berry was crying so much, but then to think she was the first African American woman, in 74 years to win a Best Actress Oscar, I can't say I am a huge fan, but I am proud of her for breaking that barrier.

I hope Morgan Freeman gets one before his career is over, he was in some great films, and played some great parts (Driving Miss Daisy, Seven, The Shawshank Redemption, Glory)

PMK5 wanna mention a few other movies that i don't know if you've seen including a few that almost nobody saw. For Denzel,

A Soldiers Story, Cry Freedom. Mo' Better Blues and a small little film that hardly anyone saw but a movie that is one of my favorites called The Mighty Quinn. I've turned quite a few people on to this movie and they all love it.

For Morgan Freeman, a movie early in his career that a lot of people missed was Street Smart. He plays a brutal pimp in it and he gave me nightmares after i'd seen it. The movie also had Superman (Christopher Reeve) in it.

Another that i'd like to see eventually win and award is Laurence Fishburne. He's been in some great movies and been awesome in them. Especially Boyz' in the Hood, Deep Cover, The Tuskegee Airmen, Miss Evers Boys, Othello, The Matrix (guess i got to put that one in there, hehe) and he also played "Clean...Mr. Clean was from some South Bronx sh*thole and i think the light and space of Vietnam really put the zap on his head"...haha...Apocalypse Now when he was just 16.

One day i think he'll walk away with one of those little gold men

Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Clarke Duncan. All are very good actors and I happen to like alot of their respectful movies. Since the first three have already been discussed I'd like to talk about Michael. His best movies were Armageddon, The Green Mile, and Planet of the Apes. He is also the voice of Hawk in Soilder of Fortune. He isn't up to the same level as Denzel yet but I think he could be if he found the right role.

EDIT

I forgot one, Samuel L. Jackson. Great actor and has had some really good moives. He should be awarded either an Oscar or Acadamy Award by the time his career is done.

Redmark, and you following Steve around ?

I could have sworn I posted something about Morgan Freeman somewhere....... I thought it was in this post, I guess not.

Seven is personally one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie, and Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, and Brad Pit all were great.

Interestingly another of my favorite movies, top 5 along witih Se7en, is Swimming With Sharks, which Kevin Spacey was also in along with Frank Whaley.

Frank Whaley was in a movie (the name escapes me now) where he worked over night at target, the movie also starred Jennifer Connelly, who won an Oscar, and who makes my teeth hurt.

Originally posted by PM5K

Frank Whaley was in a movie (the name escapes me now) where he worked over night at target, the movie also starred Jennifer Connelly

the movie was called Career Opportunites.

'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.'......what a classic movie / actor.......pulp fiction / samuel jackson

Samuel L Jackson deservers an Oscar. Perhaps some would argue he hasn't had a "groundbreaking" role but he always acts with the same intensity, integrity and intelligence. He always works at 180%. That deserves credit.

Besides, the man does at least 3 movies a year. Who else has that kind of schedule?

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

hasn't had a "groundbreaking"

Huh????

Hasn't had a groundbreaking role? Look 3 posts up, i'd say that was a groundbreaking role if there ever was one! ;)