Max Payne

Has anyone finished Max Payne on the "Dead on Arrival" difficulty setting?

If so, what were your tactics for the challenge rooms at the end?

BTW, the challenge rooms are not accessible on the first 3 difficulty levels.

My problem is I cannot do that. With me it is all or nothing. I can play something non-stop for days and then stop playing it forever for no apparent reason! Annoying but I can't help it.

For those who have finished it, image the tower at the end, 3 difficulty settings harder.

...the thugs can take more lead than you, ammo is scarce and time is short.

Originally posted by grimman

max payne is a crappy game. whoo, matrix-effect. yippie.

fun for about 5 minutes or so.

You are the only person I have ever heard say it is bad.

Originally posted by PabUK

You are the only person I have ever heard say it is bad.

Me too, now maybe if you played it for a bit longer than 5 minutes you'd see that its a decent game. ;)

Most of the complaints i have heard, in regards to Max Payne have been those saying its nothing "new" or "innovative". Now who really cares ? I think what is important is how well it has all been implemented. Take Bullet Time for example. I happen to love it and can't see them improving much on that at all. I have heard people whine there was no multiplayer support....do you think bullet time would work in multiplayer ? Not likely...it just wouldnt be feasible. The guns, the story, the moody atmosphere, the amazing particle effects, what more could you want ? I finished the game and was left, only wanting more....:)

~Keldyn

I tend to play through an entire game is just a few sittings, only to give up when there is a lame big boss at the end. I would much rather going up against hundreds of soldiers than say one big Half-Life end boss. Or play a game for twice as long and have a nice plot twist at the end which makes the whole game so worthwhile.

Also, I installed the Max Payne demo on my computer and it wouldn't run on XP. I was all ready to go out and get it but found it didn't run on XP [or my install of XP at least]. :(

I've heard it's good but I've seen an in-game movie of it and it looks pants. As for bad comments I've heard LOADS of bad comments about Max Payne on loads of forums.

Quoting PC Format latest edition here...

Max Payne's looks will easily seduce you. It demands one hell of a PC to look its best - we're talking a 1GHz PCU backed up by 256Mb RAM and a GeForce3 if you want to see it in all its gory glory.

And after that it goes on and on for a few more sentences about how amazing the graphics are.

well... here's my deal:

i played halfway through the game... ok, so bad-guys are good... at least they offer resistance, but hell... aiming sucks, bullet-time (tho it is a very nice feature) can be considered more of a cheat imo and the levels. well tell me what damn game hasn't got levels that ONLY lead one way.

dammit, at least someone could try. but no. there's another minus.

well... it's just not my kind of game. i'll stick with q2 sp which i still think rocks. even tho there are one-way levels there too.

I love Max Payne but got stuck at a stage that has alot of containers. I can't figure out whatelse to do and I can't go all the way back. I've click everthing and shot everwhere. But.. thang goodness for Max Payne Kung-Fu Edition. This dude made it and it comes with a level editor and i skipped that stage and went on to another one where he's supposed to meet some dude at his restaurant but as soon as I walk anywhere the whole place blows up and I can't go outside or nothing so I die. I've found there are some places that you can stay though without dying but makes no sense since the fire never goes away so i just stand there forever then decide to move. Onetime I tried shooting sprinklers but that didn't work so what tha hell do i do!!! I can skip that stage again but I don't want to! What's next!

Originally posted by mortensen

The video shows the graphics which didn't look very good. I obviously can't comment on the gameplay, which is the most important feature.

I just have to say that the video looks alot worse than the actual game. And as for the boss, there are around 6 or 7 tough thugs at the top heavily armed which you have to beat, not just one boss.

*I know you didn't sat there was one lame boss at the end of Max Payne, but I just thought I'd point it out* :)

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

I love Max Payne but got stuck at a stage that has alot of containers. I can't figure out whatelse to do and I can't go all the way back. I've click everthing and shot everwhere. But.. thang goodness for Max Payne Kung-Fu Edition. This dude made it and it comes with a level editor and i skipped that stage and went on to another one where he's supposed to meet some dude at his restaurant but as soon as I walk anywhere the whole place blows up and I can't go outside or nothing so I die. I've found there are some places that you can stay though without dying but makes no sense since the fire never goes away so i just stand there forever then decide to move. Onetime I tried shooting sprinklers but that didn't work so what tha hell do i do!!! I can skip that stage again but I don't want to! What's next!

I think I know where you were up to:

You were up to the stage where there is a bridge that you cannot pass. Go up to the far left side (hard to explain), where there is a large fence which you can't get through, look through that fence and you should see a truck parked.

Behind one of the wheels should be a "wheel block" shoot it with any gun and the truck will go rolling and cause the bridge to lie flat, now you should be able to pass it.

You will kick yourself when you do it because there are signs on every wall saying "put a wheelblock under tyre" (or something like that ;)).

*KICKS HIMSELF!* Thanx yo.. that's the only reason i stopped playing that game.. i coudln't figure it out! hehe. I'm going to bed now so i'll have to go try that hint early in the morning!