Is there a command to reboot in safe mode?

I am a computer tech. I work on about 5 computers at a time, in addition to helping customers. If I need to get a computer into safe mode, I have to stand there the minute or so until I can hit F8 and I CONSTANTLY miss it.

I would love a command such as "rundll.exe -restart /safe" or something like that that would automatically restart in safe mode.

If anyone knows of such a command, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Matt

Use msconfig to check the boot.ini options, and if you need to drop it into Win2k. You could add lines to the boot.ini to accomplish what you need.

edit: or look at the above link!!! :p

I am really looking for a command I can run from the "Run" dialog that will allow me to restart in safe mode. I will be working on customer's units, and I don't want to edit the boot.ini file, since I'd still have to select an OS to load to and that would not be economical for me. Just a quick one time command for "Restart in safe mode."

What I'm looking for reminds me of "Restart in MS-DOS mode" of Win98. You could get there by pressing F8, or by selecting that.

Nope no command to resart in safe mode. The only shutdown options are:

C:\Documents and Settings\Go Away>shutdown

Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "c

omment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)

-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option

-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)

-s Shutdown the computer

-r Shutdown and restart the computer

-a Abort a system shutdown

-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort

-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds

-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)

-f Forces running applications to close without war

ning

-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown

u is the user code

p is a planned shutdown code

xx is the major reason code (positive integer le

ss than 256)

yy is the minor reason code (positive integer le

ss than 65536)

I would like an easier way to get into Safe Mode as well... when I saw this thread I thought I may have finally found an easier way, but I guess not.

Thanks for the help though. I guess I will have to live with pushing the F8 button...

I too wish there was a way to boot into safe mode alot easier than this, but alas, there is not unfortunately. That's why I just have to sit there whacking the F8 key until the selection comes up for me to boot into Safe Mode, I guess it would be too much to ask for of MS to add something in that is easier =P

In the c:\boot.ini:

The Safe-mode boot modes and corresponding switches include:

• Mode: Safe Mode
    Switch: /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
  • Mode: Safe Mode with Networking
    Switch: /safeboot:network /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
  • Mode: Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Switch: /safeboot:minimal(alternateshell) /sos /bootlog /noguiboot
  • Mode: Enable Boot Logging
    Switch: /bootlog
  • Mode: Enable VGA Mode
    Switch: /basevideo
  • Mode: Directory Services Restore Mode (Domain Controllers Only)
    Switch: /safeboot:dsrepair /sos
  • Mode: Debugging Mode
    Switch: /debug

Example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal /sos

Hope this helps...

Nick :D

to continue with the info that N1ck gave you - just create the entries you would like to be able to boot in. Then if you would want say a safe mode with network boot, make that your default option. When you reboot it will come up in safe mode with networking.

This can be changed in system props, advanced startup and recovery.

edit: to take it to the next level - just make a batch file that changes the default in your boot.ini file.

Make one that makes next boot safe, make one that makes next one normal, etc.. so if you want to boot in safe mode next time. Run your batch file, then restart - you could even put the shutdown command in there. So when you run the batch file, it changes your default boot to the safe settings you want, and then reboots the machine.

Just make sure you change it back - or the next time you reboot, you'll still be in safe mode.

edit2: But martog's way is much funner, kind of turns your booting into safe mode a game - can you hit the f8 key at the right time? If not your a luser, if so - Woo Hoo your one l337 mofo ;) hehehehe

Edited by BudMan

If you happen to be working on a Win98 computer.

Quick reboot into Safe Mode

Reboot into DOS Mode

Type Win /D:M

Press Enter

Windows will reboot into Safe Mode. Quickly, I might add.

Not useful for Windows XP unfortunately. :unsure:

If you happen to be working on a Win98 computer.

Not useful for Windows XP unfortunately.  :unsure:

dont you get the option to select safe mode when you go to start>shutdown on a win98 comp anyway?

dont you get the option to select safe mode when you go to start>shutdown on a win98 comp anyway?

Don't think so, but I haven't got one in front of me to make sure.