Switching family over to Mozilla

Hey...

I've got a couple of questions to ask...

First off -

Which browser should I get for my family... they are used to MSN 9.0 Premium... so Firefox or Mozilla 1.7.1???? I'm thinking firefox... since it looks cleaner and streamlined compared to 1.7.1.

Second... since we have MSN Premium... would their @msn.com e-mails be able to use POP3 Clients? I think MSN was in the process of allowing Premium members do this... I'm not sure if it has gone through yet.

The reason I'm switching them off MSN is because I'm sick of IE's various problems.

Thanks,

- shockz

definatly Firefox

Even if you want to use mozilla for email, then just get Thunderbird

about the msn premium with pop mail, I really dont know

I hope some users here know more than me

i think firefox and mozilla are almost the same thing, but not really. firefox is just a browser, where mozilla has various other things built in.

i am an IE supporter, but instead of fighting with you ill just say good luck with your effort. if you believe that your family can use it (and WANTS TO USE IT) then good for you. however, dont by any means force it on them or try to trick them (that is just wrong and disrespectful of their wishes).

i guess all i can really say is: good luck.

STV

I recently done something similar, my parents PC has now switched to Firefox. Just make sure they've got the plugins they might expect to come across (shockwave, flash, pdf etc) and set it up as similar in structure to IE as possible with bookmarks in similar places and similar layout of the toolbar buttons and they should be fine. I can't help you with the mail though.

if you believe that your family can use it (and WANTS TO USE IT) then good for you. however, dont by any means force it on them or try to trick them (that is just wrong and disrespectful of their wishes)

Oh don't worry.. I tottaly informed them of the upcoming switch.

They are all for it.

Most of them are complete "n00bs" or whatever you want to call them... that they probably won't even notice a difference.

I believe you shouldn't have any problem. I did a small research on my project. I test this on 20 of my customers who are using IE and AOL since the day one they knew Internet. I found out most of them didn't notice they were switching to Firefox at all. Once I inform them about Firefox, all of them love it.

I also try it on 2 of their kid's computers. They ask their Mom what I did becasue it make sufing the internet feel so fast.

So, I would say you shouldn't have any problem at all. By the way when I asked them what they like about Firefox is the build in Popup blocker and AdBlock extension I installed.

Firefox is pretty similar to IE now, including shortcuts. I switched my parents PC over to firefox and they got used to it right away.

You can even import the bookmarks :D

Use the Luna Blue theme, hack the dtds to rename it to Internet Explorer (blasphemy, I know), and no computer newbies could possibly tell that they've switched browsers...

While IE itself may have its share of problems, you are doing more than just switching from one browser to another, you are switching from a custom user-experience to a browser (and e-mail application). MSN Explorer provides an environment that can only be elsewhere found in AOL (possibly in custom solutions from SBC Yahoo! and Earthlink). Firefox and Thunderbird/Mozilla are only browsers and e-mail clients, MSN Explorer is much more than that; something to think about.

Is there a reason they have MSN Premium and use MSN Explorer to begin with? You say they are all for the switch, but do they really know the difference?

I'm all for getting people to use browsers other than IE (at least until MS fixes the plethora of issues it has), but MSN/MSN Explorer are not IE in the end (rendering engine aside).

Oh don't worry.. I tottaly informed them of the upcoming switch.

They are all for it.

Most of them are complete "n00bs" or whatever you want to call them... that they probably won't even notice a difference.

glad to hear it. it is obvious that you are set in this decision. try it and see what happens, report on the progress, if you can.

STV

I forced my girlfriend to switch after I got tired of uninstalling various activex scripts, self-installed toolbars, and other annoyances IE did. I told her to try it for one week, and if she really didn't like it I'd uninstall it. After the second day she complained that it loaded slowly, so I installed bangbang's custom build on her P4, now it boots up and runs much better. Her dad was on it tonight and commented on how much smoother it was than his computer, so later this week I'm going to install it on his for him.

Now if I can get the people at work to convert :) (GF's dad is my boss, shouldn't be too hard)

lol i did this to my sisters comp i just changed the icon to the i.e icon and she couldnt tell

wow...way to treat your sister :rolleyes: ..what if you found out your brother (for example) did this to you?

I'm waiting until the 1.0 release to switch everyone I know over. Just wanna make sure there aren't any stupid bugs that would anoy them, since I've been boasting about how great firefox is for the past year.

EDIT: Damn I didn't want to post anything today...was trying to wait til my 3rd birthday here at neowin to make my 2000th post. Oh well.