[Olympics] Dream Team looks bad again

I think this is too funny. I, as well as Dan, want them to be out in the first round. they are pathetic...to almost lose to a team that didn't even qualify for the olympics. how pathetic.

COLOGNE, Germany - Things are not looking good for the NBA stars on the U.S. Olympic basketball team.

The Americans needed a buzzer-beating 3-pointer by Allen Iverson from just across midcourt Wednesday to pull out an 80-77 exhibition victory over Germany ? a team that failed to even qualify for the Athens Games.

Um, this team was lead by Dirk Nowitzki -- and they beat Italy. They didn't exactly suck.

Team USA isn't playing like a team, though.

Wanting your home-country team to fail is stupid, IMO.

I think it would look good on the yanks to lose in basketball for once. It's a team full of professionals that play in an event for amateurs. It's just not right. Here's hoping the US fails miserably.

the last dream team played in the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, remember those Olympic cups and triple cheeseburgers @ McDonalds???? I do............ :laugh:

Um, this team was lead by Dirk Nowitzki -- and they beat Italy. They didn't exactly suck.

Team USA isn't playing like a team, though.

Wanting your home-country team to fail is stupid, IMO.

This team also didn't qualify for the Olympics. They aren't exactly world beaters. :rolleyes:

Wanting my home country to fail is stupid? I'm sorry..these pathetic clowns don't deserve to win, so, I don't want them to.

Not sure what your issue is with debating every topic with me around here...this isn't RWI.

This team also didn't qualify for the Olympics. They aren't exactly world beaters:rolleyes:s:

Wanting my home country to fail is stupid? I'm sorry..these pathetic clowns don'deserveb> to win, so, I don't want them to.

Not sure what your issue is with debating every topic with me around here...this isn't RWI.

...you know this how? This team has been playing together much longer than the American Olympic (and most other Olympic teams) team has, that's for sure.In my opinionb>, yes, it is stupid. Wanting your home team to lose just because you hold grudges against some of the players is stupid in my opinion, yes. I'm no Iverson fan, either, but to insult the country by saying I don't want them to win (when therareb> people that deserve to win this -- Tim Duncan, Larry Brown, Okafur, etc.) is stupidbut that's my opinionb>.

It's not RWI, either, no, but I'm allowed to voice my opinions just like anyone else. If someone agreed with you then you sure wouldn't be complaining, would you? I'm not trying to argue you, I just have a different point of view. If I agree with you then I'll say so, there's no point in drawing attention to the fact that I'm disagreeing with you. No offence, but if you didn't want opinions then why'd you post your opinion in the first place?

I don't mean to butt in however, I don't see why someone should be obliged to cheer for their own country. It is sports and maybe after years of winning gold medals in the same sport you want someone else to get to wear it. What makes this case even more appropriate to me is that the US team has more pro's on their roster than any other team. The olympics is suppose to be an event to celebrate amateur atheletics. I don't see why anyone should feel moraly obliged to cheer for their own country especially when (my opinion here) that team is doing an injustice to the olympics by inviting professionals.

I don't mean to butt in however, I don't see why someone should be obliged to cheer for their own country. It is sports and maybe after years of winning gold medals in the same sport you want someone else to get to wear it. What makes this case even more appropriate to me is that the US team has more pro's on their roster than any other team. The olympics is suppose to be an event to celebrate amateur atheletics. I don't see why anyone should feel moraly obliged to cheer for their own country especially when (my opinion here) that team is doing an injustice to the olympics by inviting professionals.

Oh no, I'm completely with you... to not cheer for your country is one thing, but to not cheer for them simply because of who plays for your country is stupid, basically, is my opinion. But, the United States isn't the only one using professionals -- any country is free to use professionals, and the NBA allows any player to play for their country. It just so happens that most Basketball players are from the United States.

My point though was that maybe I won't cheer for them because who plays for them are professionals. Personally I think that diminishes the purpose of the olympics and therefore I won't cheer for the US because their players are all pros.

Oh no, I'm completely with you... to not cheer for your country is one thing, but to not cheer for them simply because of who plays for your country is stupid, basically, is my opinion.

:rolleyes: Fine. by your definition, I am stupid.

The thugs don't deserve to win.

I know this because.....

They....didn't.....qualify.....for....the....olympics.

Wow, they didn't qualify for the Olympics but they beat Italy and barly got beat by America. That doesn't mean they can't be a good team. Especially considering Dirk wasn't with them to qualify.:rolleyes:s:

[quote name='BOOGSoftball?' date='Aug 4 2004, 22:28:rolleyes:s: Fine. by your definition, I am stupid.

The thugs don't deserve to win.

Sigh... do you have to keep putting words in my mouth?

I never said you were stupid. I saiI thinkb> thait's stupid to not go for your country's team simply because you hold a grudge against their playersb>. I never said you're stupid, I never said your opinions are stupid. I said that I think it's stupid to dislike your team just because you hold a grudge against their players -- but that's my opinion.

For all you know the rest of the Olympic teams from other countries could be filled with gangsters -- would you care?

For all you know the rest of the Olympic teams from other countries could be filled with gangsters -- would you care?

No...because they do not represent me....basically why I don't want this team to win.

If you aren't calling me stupid, you definitely calling my opinion...stupid.

I'm done here. It's not even worth the keystrokes.

What happens when you put a bunch of egotistical pop artists on a team together?

A loosing team!!!

Not my country, but i'd like to see the US win. Olympics is about athletics and team work both of which the team is lacking.

The original team was quite amazing. The lineup was a list of some of the best ever to play the game.

We didn't qualify? Then why are we going to Athens again?

We did qualify... its just one of the first times that we even had to.

Usually we get a free pass for winning the world championships every year, but last year we finished 6th.

so yes we did qualify

I, for one, like this article...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/040804

Favorite part:

(Which reminds me: If we really wanted to win the gold, why wouldn't we just send our defending NBA champions? Imagine the 2004 Pistons headed to Athens in 10 days, completely intact with their coach, only with Duncan sliding into Mehmet Okur's spot and Corey Haim filling the role of Darko? Would anyone be against this? Seriously, anyone?)
I think that's what we need to do to begin with... send a TEAM.

We didn't qualify? Then why are we going to Athens again?

We did qualify... its just one of the first times that we even had to.

Usually we get a free pass for winning the world championships every year, but last year we finished 6th.

so yes we did qualify

We were referring to Germany, Not the US

Wow, I feel really stupid.

Larry brown needs to play stoudamire, lebron and okafor more.

I think he's putting to many scorers on at once. Hopefully we can medal.

Yugoslavia and Argentina are going to be alot more tough than these teams.

I would like to see big-time pro athletes removed from the Olympics altogether for certain sports. For some sports you don't have much of a choice.

Sure some will oppose this since IF the US plays well, they're virtually assured Gold. I'll vouch the same for hockey. Canada is in a similar position ... IF... the team plays well.

I would fell much more proud of my basektball or hockey team - win or lose - if I saw university and semi-pros playing instead of over-paid (my opinion) athletes. And the same goes for all other countries. For one, they're hardly to practice all year round (heck look at the All-Star Games now).