Not possible to NOT backup old data with SP2?

I remember with SP1 you could chose not to backup all the previous data (and allow to reverse the SP1 at any time). This option is now gone in SP2? :huh: I already made an image of my drive yo i don't need that $Uninstall folder bloating up my HD :cry:

Yeah, I noticed this as well, I can only assume its because of the HUGE amount of changes that SP2 makes to your Windows Install which could be very risky, so MS wanted everyone to have a fall back(You can uninstall in safe mode if its buggered) in case it messes up

For example, I've installed the Pack on 6 pc's today and it's worked like a charm, however a friend installed on it his fairly clean and tidy laptop and it went into a reboot spree which was only solved by booting into safe mode and uninstalling the SP2 and then trying again. If the choice had been there he would have choosen not to archive his files and there would have been one messed up laptop...

Yeah i understand that, MS is trying to be extra safe here (for good reason i suppose). Just that i did an image, so if anything goes wrong i'll just roll the image back and don't need the backup data. I wonder if there's a hidden undocumented switch for power users.

Ok i found the switch to disable backing up your previous data/configuration. Here is exactly how to do it.

1. Click the sp2.exe, let the files decompress. Wait till the installation window pops up. Do NOT press cancel.

2. Find the folder where sp2 decompressed the files to (name is many random numbers/characters).

3. Copy the folder "i386" from that folder to a safe place. Then press cancel in the installation thing.

3. Edit the file i386/update/update.inf

4. Find the string UninstallForceDefault = 1, change the 1 to 0.

5. Run update.exe from the same directory.

6. You now have the option to not backup anything.

Problem: The Installer now complains that sth. is wrong with the integrity of update.inf and aborts the install. Unfortunately i couldn't find yet where the md5sum is stored. Almost all other md5sums are stored in update.ver

Edited by thop

Ok i found a way to trick the Installer :D It doesn't complain anymore and is now installing. I'll update the steps when i'm 100% sure it worked and SP2 did the full update.

I hope so, Because as you say having a 200mb backup just laying there doing nothing is kinda annoying, esp when your straped for space.

You're strapped for space, but you run XP? :blink: How large is your system drive?