Maddux wins 300th

thought someone might have posted by now, but Greg Maddux won his 300th game yesterday.. this guy has been my favorite player as long as i can remember and its great to see him reach the milestone.. madduz is also quite possibly the most humble and down to earth guy to play the game.. on the 300 win page - here - you can watch the press conference.. he comes in at about 7 minutes.. he will not congratulate himself, he only cares about the team. i wish it could have been in a Braves uniform, but nonetheless, congrats Greg.

mKNYK4Xn.jpg

sportscenter had an excellent analysis of the current pitchers who are closest to 300, and said that it is very unlikely for any of the current generation of pitchers to get 300. the one with the best chance was glavine, but he is with a sub-500 team with a crappy bullpen and not too much offensive power for insurance.

randy is too old;

mussina's best days are gone;

pedro gets injured too much;

and that's about it. :D

he was indeed one of the most down-to-earth guys ive ever seen, they showed the post-game press conference thing, and he said that it all fell into place through his team-play.

my local newspaper had the numbers 300 written in baseballs, each with the logo of the team he was on when he won it. the majority of the balls were covered in A's, of course, but there were quite a few C's as well.

I love his modesty. One of the few guys left in sports thats not concerned about himself as much as he is about his team.

Did I hear correctly that mroe than 1/3 of his wins were CG's?

Did I hear correctly that mroe than 1/3 of his wins were CG's?

from this list of career wins- http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

i count 92 times where he pitched at least 9 full innings.. and i remember once or twice when he was in a braves uniform where a game was called early and he had pitched the whole game, and got credit for a complete game victory.. so yeah, right around 1/3 of the time..

No other pitcher will get to 300. Ever.

Great, great article in SI this past week on the mistique of the 300 game winner. In this day and age, you won't see them anymore.

Absolutely fantastic, Greg. Way to go!

No other pitcher will get to 300. Ever.

That's what they said about Mark McGwire's 70 homeruns and Hank Aaron's 755 home runs. One has already been broken, and the other is on its way.