Slipstreaming SP2 with Restore CD

i'd say **** vaio. do you really need of that just recordnow, picturegear etc etc etc... software?

i most certainly dont need it when reinstalling windows. too much junk i never use.

so get yourself a copy of windows xp pro in any way you want (eg. borrow, download, whatever), slipstream sp2 into it using nlite and just use the cd-key that came with you vaio :)

ps. mine did not come with 3 restore cds. i had to burn a restore cd + dvd myself after i bought the pc.

wish sony would just include winxp cd with the pc :rolleyes:

won't he need an oem version of whichever windows xp version that came installed on his computer before doing all that?

i am just using xp pro cd that came bundled with my with my other pc and cdkey that came with vaio.

correction: my cdkey on the back is XP HOME. well i'll try it with PRO, if not i'll just use the cd-key that came with second pc.

too bad i dont have a copy of XP HOME. and dont want to wait to search and download it.

so i'll try it with pro. my vaio came partitioned to c: and d: - so i just moved everything i wanted to keep on to d: and then formatted c:

crossing my fingers that i'll have no driver problems. well if unexpected happens then i always have my restore cds ;) but it wont come to that.

Edited by panacea

will making a splipstreamed cd work with the "upgrade" version of windows xp home?

no idea, plus what you want to upgrade from, you want to install 98 first or something?

then again i never used upgrade versions so i dont know.

will making a splipstreamed cd work with the "upgrade" version of windows xp home?

No it wouldnt, you need the full version. Not upgrade or anything of the latter.

So get yourself full version of Home/Pro & off you will go.

Brgs

I managed to slipstream my Upgrade CD perfectly fine.

And you don't need to have Win98 or whatever on your PC. If you already have XP installed on the PC, providing you format the drive as part of the installation process you can just do a clean install of XP.

AFAIK the Upgrade and Full version have the same windows installation files on them, it's just the setup program that differs. Thats why you can find all these 6-in-1 CD's on the net, they all use the same windows files with different installers.

qbie

You can slipstream an upgrade cd just fine. Just did it with my XP pro upgrade volume lic disc (yes legal). You can also install upgrade discs on a clean HDD. Only difference will be that if nothing is on the drive, the setup program will ask you to insert a prevoius version of Windows into the drive for verification. You can even use an old Win95 disc.

i have a sony vaio pc and it came with three system restore cds. is there anyway to somehow slipstream sp2 with the cds?

Are the files all there or are they in image files?

A file structure of the CDs would be nice.

Yes, you can slipstream either an upgrade, or full installation. No, you cannot slipstream a recovery CD as they are images of the original installation...with drivers and software that came with the computer.

The company installs the software, then images the drive to the recovery CDs....used to put the system back to the day you bought it.

It is possible if you have a unmodified i386 folder on your C: Drive, many computers do. If so run update.exe from sp2 on that folder and get a boot cd image of the internet, and then you have your own CD ;)

It is possible if you have a unmodified i386 folder on your C: Drive, many computers do. If so run update.exe from sp2 on that folder and get a boot cd image of the internet, and then you have your own CD ;)

Most OEMs do modify the I386 folder. They expand all files, removes the setup loaders, adds their own software files, etc etc etc.