Loss of internet connectivity

I am running XP home with DSL provided by Directvinternet. I have a linksys internet everywhere 10/100 NIC. I also have an APC battery backup with full APM enabled. Currently, when my computer goes to 'sleep', or standby, I lose connection between the NIC and the DSL modem. XP says the link is still enabled, but can't refresh the IP address. Usually a reboot and power off and on of the modem solves this. There is no wake on LAN for this card.

Anyone had a similar experience? Know a solution?

what u can do, is going to powersettings in control panel and changing the power schemes.

if u dont wanna do that than u can change ur bios settings and change the wake up lan (dont remember the bios settings from inside my head)...hope this helps a bit

• 2 weeks later...

WinXP has automatic IP assignment. When it connects to the internet, it automatically assigns an IP address to your computer. The problem I had was that after standby, XP would assign an IP address before talking with my DSL modem.

Solution? I manually entered the IP info for my PC, DSL modem gateway, DNS, etc and it works fine.