Soundblaster Live! drivers for XP

*sigh* how many people do i have to tell this to?

You cant use anything but the drivers that come with Windows XP, not even the windows 2000 ones. If you use the "fix" that has been going around on the internet, you can install the drivers, but in the long run, they will cause you major headaches, as they can not be un-installed. The new XP drivers should be out in ~ 2 weeks.

Actually, the drivers for SBLive! WDM for XP are already out...they were here at neowin...I downloaded them, and use them now...work like a charm...and the drivers included originally in XP also work perfectly...the only ones that gave me problem were the ones by Creative...

You can get the absolute latest Win2k drivers here:

http://www.europe.creative.com/download/do...309∏=〈=

(This is a hot download link by the way)

Right click on both the file you download and the setup file that it extracts and choose compatability mode for Win2k.

If you have problems with devldr32.exe throwing errors. Boot to safe mode, extract devldr32.dll from the I386 directory on the WindowsXP CD and stick it in C:WindowsSystem32I386

I feel like I've said this a hundred times already. Unless you absolutely HAVE to have all those fancy EAX affects don't do this. Just use the drivers that came with XP. Creative has always been a little slow about coming out with new drivers. Just hold your horses. They've promised them around the middle of October. You can even get on a notification list on the soundblaster web-site...

tnx for the answers.. and I am sorry of you have written this fivhundred times before, but i havent been around here so much so hepp!:p

To get your SoundBlaster Live to work properly in Windows XP do the following:

Even some features of Livewarewill work such surrond mix and audiohq.

Goto http://www.europe.creative.com/support/dri...vers/latest.asp and download "SBL51_W2k.exe"

NOTE: You can use this driver for any version of the SoundBlaster Live sound card. (Value, MP3, 5.1..ect)

Just follow the instructions below.

1) Make new folder on c: drive and name it "sblive".

2) Save SB51_W2K.exe in the sblive folder run it to decompress the files.

3) In a start/run box type - c:sblivesbl51.exe /w :)

I wouldnt install ANY drivers for win 2k on win xp for soundblaster live! profucts. You can risk it, but it is not worth messing up your computer... I have done about 5 installs of Win XP, and tried different drivers each time, and found the 2535 default drivers the best (but rest assured, i am using build 2600 :) ) . I am waiting ... :ditsy:

I didn't write it 500 times here. I'm new to this forum so you're forgiven....this time....lol... :D.

I am currently using the Win2k drivers with no trouble. All I did was right click the install file and run it in compatability mode for Win2k, I haven't even gotten the problem with devldr32.dll, but I've heard of others having it. That's why I posted to replace it with the native XP library if having troubles. Sounds like Dudu's answer takes care of the devldr32.dll in advance. I'd try it, but since mine's working fine even with the Win2k devldr I'll just stick it out.

Also, I think maybe you tried to install the Liveware from Creative's site. I tried that once and it refused to uninstall. The drivers that you'll get from the link in my previous post WILL uninstall. I've done it. You simply uninstall SoundBlaster Live from Control Panel and then roll back the driver from device manager. Liveware will not do this as it doesn't load the uninstaller during setup and will cause you all sorts of trouble. Liveware 3.0 from Creative's site also doesn't support 5.1 so I wouldn't recommend it for 5.1 users.

Also as Yahoka mentioned a couple of times. Anytime you install a driver meant for another OS, YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE... Do it at you're own risk. Just becuase I've done it and it's working doesn't mean it'll work for you. Trust me when I tell you that each and everyone of these fancy boxes we love so much has it's own personality. I spent a lot of time in Austin working in a computer assembly sweat-shop as a test operator and EMR tech and even brand new, identical systems act slightly different from each other.

So, if you need your computer for work, or you have pertinent information that you can't stand to lose, don't tweak it. If you're like me and it's just a plaything and you keep all your important stuff on CD's then tweak away. The worst that can happen is fixed by a re-install...:p :D

Hey dudu,

got a question for ya...

I had to reformat anyway so I decided to give your install with the /w switch a try and I didn't get any prompts at all, it just installed as usual.

Any ideas why I didn't get any prompts?

Maybe it's because you already had srewed original WinXP drivers. This only works with the original drivers that come with XP.

And don't listen to other people, cause me and my friends made like this and works very well without any kind of problems.

No, that wasn't it. I had just formatted and it was a super-fresh install of XP that I was working with. It just didn't prompt me to do anything..

Oh well, I did get it to work like this... I know there's a different way for every machine....lol. Maybe if we post enought different wayz to do it then people can figure it out before Creative delivers the new drivers in a couple 'o weeks....lol.

I uninstalled the creative drivers using the Add/Remove Programs app in Control Panel. Then I did a system restore to the check point that XP automatically creates on the first boot. This took my back to square one. Then I made a backup copy of the devldr.exe file from the WindowsXP CD. You can find & extract this file from the I386/Drivers.cab file on the CD.

Then I installed the Win2k drivers mentioned above using the Win2k compatability mode. These work fine as is, but everytime I shut down I had to end task on devldr.exe

So then I rebooted into safe mode. Then I opened up taskmanager and killed devldr32.

Then, using my backup, I replaced devldr32.exe in the following folders.

C:WindowsSystem32

C:WINDOWSsystem32ReinstallBackups000DriverFilesi386

I checked the file size of the one in C:WINDOWSDriver Cachei386driver.cab and it looked right so I didn't mess with that one.

Thingz seem to be working fine now.

If you can get Dudu's method to work I'd suggest going that route as it's WAY easier, but my system just ignored the /w switch and installed the drivers as usual so I had to resort to more detailed methods...

And don't listen to other people..

Dudu, that has to be the most ignorant advice you could give someone. It never hurts to listen to other points of view as they might know more than YOU. You're not always right, regardless of whether or not you "and your friends made like" that.:s