Lost Internet Connections after installing SP2

The internet connections were working fine when i was running SP1a. I could right click My Network Places and click properties...or i could go through Control Panel and double click Network Connections...and I would see the 2 network connections, and 1 disabled network bridge, on my computer (1 HPNA card, 1 10/100 card).

Now, after installing SP2, the Network Connections window is empty. When I hit F5 to refresh the window i get an error:

"The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connections service is enabled and running."

First I checked services.msc. The Network Connections service was on Manual and its status was "Started". I tried making it Automatic, but that did nothing to rectify the problem.

Next I checked the Windows Firewall window, since I knew it was running as evidenced by the Security Center. I turned it off, but still no connections. I went to the Advanced tab in the Windows Firewall window and in the upper box it says:

"The network connect settings have become corrupted. To fix this, click Restore Defaults. This will delete all of your settings for Windows Firewall, and it might cause some programs to stop working."

I clicked on Restore Defaults. It turned Windows Firewall back on, but the error in that box still remains, the Network Connections folder is still empty, and I still get that error when I hit F5 in the Network Connections folder.

I just checked the Device Manager. My 3com 10/100 card is disabled, which is SOMETHING I DID, since I dont use it (I'm running an HPNA network over here)...there are no errors with the card last time i checked. My HPNA card is fine...no errors there...including the fact that I'm using it now to write this post. The network bridge is disabled too, which is SOMETHING I DID...I DO USE THIS, I just disable it when not in use.

Im out of ideas. Im open to suggestions.

EDIT:

I have no viruses. Im running Kaspersky and I recently did a scan.

I have no spyware. I recently did a scan with Webroot Spysweeper 3.0.

HijackThis 1.98 shows nothing funny.

The Startup list shows nothing funny, either.

This happened right after installing SP2...and yes, I installed the *right* one; MD5 sums were a match.

EDIT #2:

Sorry I left out a bit of computer related information

Windows XP Professional

Broadcom 4211 iLine10 Network Adapter (the HPNA card)

3com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)

Edited by Tokar

right now im in Safe Mode with networking (writing this message) and the Network Connections window has what I should see...Local Area Connection, Local Area Connection 2, and Network Bridge...

Is it possible that there is some kind of windows service that is disabling the Network Connections?

Is your DHCP service running? I had to restart it after installing SP2, cus it wouldn't talk to my router.

yeah its running...

Actually what i did when i was in safe mode was disable Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service and now everything is working in normal windows.

Problem is, I will have a use for ICS in a month when i go back to school...