HELP! Boot Error SP2 Installation

I've just installed SP2 and I get this error as soon as it boots into Windows. I keep getting it even if I boot into Safe Mode. Now I can't even remove SP2. What is happening? How can I stop it? Is there a way to uninstall SP2 from the DOS prompt?

Help!

post-83-1092085625.jpg

at the cmd prompy run, shutdown -a

It might stop the shutdown and look at the event log and see what causing the RPC service to terminate

reboot, and see if the error comes up again

if it does, in the minute you have before the restart, open up cmd (winkey+r -> cmd)

then type "shutdown -a" w/out quotes

this will abort the shutdown, and give you a chance to remove sp2

Go in safe mode and run services.msc find remote procedure call goto properties, recovery tab and pull down the drop down menu (all 3) click take no action then apply and then ok, now find the root of your problem.

Hope this helps

Im sorry but that seems like an old virus to me. Make sure you have no viruses update your AV etc. looks like the MS Blast or MyDoom virus or something like that.

Thanks.

The Even Viewer does not allow me to view the properties of the RPC so I dont know what to do there.

I've tried to install SP2 but it does not allow me to do so, the wizard just hangs there.

Can anyone help?

Im sorry but that seems like an old virus to me. Make sure you have no viruses update your AV etc. looks like the MS Blast or MyDoom virus or something like that.

I know I dont have a virus as I had just updated my AV program.

That's so strange then, Maybe you might want to do a repair then?, But that's the last thing I would do. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode then and typing what was said before so it gives you time to install?

I know I dont have a virus as I had just updated my AV program.

you updated but did you update scan, and if you scanned which antivirus do you have.

Did you perform a full system scan ( Including compressed files, subfolders and system folders ) ?

Hiya all,

I have Norton AntiVirus 2003 too! I also had it running with updated virus definitions when I contracted the MSBlast virus. You may wish to look into the possibility of having the MSBlast virus or a variant.

I hope I don't send you barking up the wrong tree, but it's good practice to cover every base.

- Tranquility

ya but once the patch is applyed , doesn't that fix the hole, so even the virus couldn't shut windows down. if he has Sp2 he already has that patch.

Yep, i agree with a virus.

Use the shutdown -a command when you get that pop up.

Run Norton.

Then run a free online scanner such as Housecall.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Dont be ever so reliable with Norton, or any AV Scanner, always check using another.

That's good advice. Let me use that program.

As for SP2. I've tring to uninstall it but the wizard crashes. Also, system restore does not work. Can I use system restore from DOS or can I uninstall SP2 from DOS?

Man I feel your pain, yeah I would try different anti-virus and see. Have you tried Windows 'LAST KNOWN GOOD' feature?

Don't get desperate, at least your data is there and you can recover it, I'm sure someone here will come up with some ideas on how to fix this.

As a last resort I would just back up your data and do a clean install, but not without exploring all other possibilities first

Man I feel your pain, yeah I would try different anti-virus and see. Have you tried Windows 'LAST KNOWN GOOD' feature?

Don't get desperate, at least your data is there and you can recover it, I'm sure someone here will come up with some ideas on how to fix this.

As a last resort I would just back up your data and do a clean install, but not without exploring all other possibilities first

Yeah, that "last good known" doesnt help either.

Can anyone tell me if I put in my XP disk and reinstall, will it simply over write the changes made by SP2?

Get hold of a boot cd with Winternals or Bart's PE Builder or Hiren's Boot CD Ver6 and go to a restore point, once you boot from the cd, and see if this will solve the problem.

If you got a problem with Windows XP install, and it won't even boot into Safe Mode.

You might want to try this...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...=windowsxpsp2kb

Yikes!

I followed the info on that page (KB 875355):

Start your computer by using the Windows XP Recovery Console or by using the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE), depending on your situation. To start your computer by using the Recovery Console, follow these steps:

Insert the original release version of the Microsoft Windows XP CD in your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to do this, see your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted, type the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER. For example, if you have one installation of Windows on your computer, type 1, and then press ENTER.

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt in Recovery Console, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.

cd $NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst

batch spuninst.txt

exit

Remove the Windows XP CD from your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer

But now when I reboot, it tries to go in to Windows and it immediately reboots. This happens in all modes, Normal Mode, Safe Mode, all modes!

I had manged to take a pic of the erroe screen with my camera just before it rebooted:

post-83-1092094366.jpg

Dude, there could be 2 reasons this happens.

1. Your Xp2 upgrade isn't successful

2. Your existing computer is already messed up, infected, etc prior to install Sp2.

Are you sure your computer has No problems whatsoever prior to install Sp2?

The help file I linked should be good for the 1st (I never tried it myself, but if Microsoft professionals wrote that), but I think this is less likely.

I am beginning to think your problem is the latter! You had a virus, or your SP2 install package isn't legit, and it contains virus.

Edited by JediXAngel