[NFL] Chargers Pull Offer To Rivers

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2650862

What is going on with these NFL rookies? I can understand a player wanting to wait awhile to see how the other picks deal with their teams, but for someone to get offered a higher salary than a pick HIGHER than you, how do you turn it down? I like Philip Rivers, I enjoyed watching him in college, but this is ridiculous. The poor Chargers are really getting screwed this year and the season hasn't even started.

And I don't even want to mention Kellen "Souljah" Winslow.

Until just before the draft Rivers was only considered to be a low first round choice, some people thought he might get drafted by Green Bay. He impresses in a few work-outs, gets drafted 4th by the Giants and all of a sudden he seems to think he seems to think he deserves some mega dollar salary from the Chargers. He's been offered more money than Gallery who was drafted 2nd, and he turns it down. I'm no chargers fan but i think Rivers behaviour is indefensible. Frist Manning refuses to play for the Chargers, so they trade him for Rivers, now Rivers refuses to sign a great contract. I feel so sorry for the Chargers, no team should be treated like that.

How many times have great College QBs turned out to be busts in the NFL (and vice versa)? Yet that is what these guys are expecting - essentially payment for being a good college level QB! Chargers are getting screwed. They don't seem to have good luck recently with high QB draft picks now do they (Ryan Leaf)?

After Ryan Leaf they decided not to draft a QB so high so they drafted Drew Brees, well he turned out to be a disappointment, so they drafted high again, and now they can't even sign him.

Brees can play, he is just in SD. But I hate rookies getting $20 million and not even playing in the league yet. The NFL needs to set a rookie limit, alot don't even play enough the first year.

Don't blame this all on Rivers. From what I understand, SD claimed they offered good money to Rivers, but actually haven't. It's the same type of crap they pulled with Manning. Their trying to save their own asses (SD) so they publicly criticize the player. I haven't heard a dollar amount here, so I really don't know where the blame lies, but it sounds like both parties have a negative hand in this.

Don't blame this all on Rivers. From what I understand, SD claimed they offered good money to Rivers, but actually haven't. It's the same type of crap they pulled with Manning. Their trying to save their own asses (SD) so they publicly criticize the player. I haven't heard a dollar amount here, so I really don't know where the blame lies, but it sounds like both parties have a negative hand in this.

Bet you it's coming down to guaranteed money and/or the signing bonus. Contracts in the NFL are never disputed over the actual dollar amount, but over the guaranteed money; so, if a player gets hurt or sucks, he'll still have the few cool million in his pocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if San Diego might be putting in performance clauses as well. Since they've been screwed in the past they probably won't want to give an insane amount of money up front to Rivers. I can't remember which player it recently was, but his actual pay was only like $900,000 for the year, but with his performance clauses and such, he made about $2.2 million.