Right click media files still crashing...

Ok, I read that this was supposed to be fixed with SP2.....but it hasn't.

When I installed XP, I created two logins to begin with.....then a third later for testing purposes (no themes, tweaked to the hilt)...

Only on the first login, can I right click media files such as music and video. On the other two, Explorer crashes.

It doesn't matter what folder, or drive...and it's only those file types. All other files are fine.

Any thoughts?

Never used any beta...don't trust them.

This has always happened to me...before SP1, during SP1, and now with SP2.

Oh yeah....it's been a plague, and the MS site said I could purchase a fix, or wait for SP2. Well, the wait is over....and still the same thing.

Guess I'll have to live with it.

Check your codecs to make sure they are updated. I had an issue where the XVID codec was causing Explorer to crash even though the preview was disabled. After updating the codec, it no longer crashes Explorer.

Only codecs I know to be installed, are the ones that come with WMP. As far as any media players, I have PowerDVD 5, Nero Showtime, Creative Media Player...and Windows Media Player. I don't use third party codecs.

More than likely the crashing is a result of a program (in your context menu) that is loading and crashing. Try removing everything but PowerDVD (and WMP) and see if that fixes it.

I had a problem where after installing sp2 everytime i right clicked a file, not folder, explorer crashed. I fixed it by disabling DEP, Data Execution Prevention. It's a new feature in sp2 but because my cpu doesn't support it. I don't mind it being disabled.

Well, I found a temporary fix.

I unassociated the files from Windows Media Player, set them to Creative for the time being, and now I can right click again. Seems there is a problem with the WMP association. Possibly a codec like mentioned.

I have the latest WMP9 Encoder series installed...anyone else know of any codec updates aside from that?

I've been having this problem, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's weird.

Does it sometimes give you a small dialog box with an 'OK' button telling you that you need to restart?

Nope, just Error Reporting Service kicking in.....then explorer crashes, then resets.

Same thing happens if I click on a file, then go to Edit - Copy. However, if I go to Edit - Copy to Folder...it doesn't crash.