Explorer Crashing

Well for some odd reason whenever i look at my backup/media drive (D:) and go to my Movies folder explorer crashing with some memory error, now the first thing i though my overclock wasnt so stable. So i restarted and went to defaults and tried to reproduce the error, and i did. Now can anyone tell me whats going on? This is a fresh install and it only happens when i look at this one folder with videos. Also all my folders are set to show it details style, so there are no thumbnails, not sure if that matters.

How are you viewing the items in the folder? (thumbnails, tiles...)

Maybe try changing to Detail or List view...could be that explorer is having a problems creating the Thumbs.db file.

Just a guess...

**EDIT: Oops...should've kept reading... ;-)

explorer tries to read the file attributes such as bitrate, size etc on .avi, and it crashes. This is a common problem that should have been fixed in SP2, oh well. Try this.

1. Open up regedit

2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Explorer will no longer be able to tell you file properties on divx.

explorer tries to read the file attributes such as bitrate, size etc on .avi, and it crashes. This is a common problem that should have been fixed in SP2, oh well. Try this.

1. Open up regedit

2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Explorer will no longer be able to tell you file properties on divx.

that fixed it thanks a lot, i thought sp2 wouldve fixed it cuz it happened on my sp1 install too.

What codec's do you have installed and what codec's do the video in the folder use?

and many different codecs, some divx and other stuff they are counterstrike movies, meh sure it sounds dumb but eh oh well, and a couple music videos.

[Posted at the same time as you]

It's not dumb, happened to me before. It's only a problem if the codec in question is not playing nice with Windows. I starting using ffdshow to decode videos when i first saw it.

I have also seen that if you have a corrupt AVI in the folder that dshow can not render it will cause it to crash. this is a good rea