SP2, not what I had hoped for

I agree with what others posted. Did a slipstream clean install last night and it's much faster. Any clean install will make it faster, but my previous install was only 6 months old and I regularly kept it well maintained. Boot times, everything faster.

it's slow because it frags the bejebus out of the drive. Mine was 49% fragmented after I installed SP2

post defrag and bootvis'ing, I was actually booting faster than with Sp1.

Cant connect to windows update (v5) since I updated.

Followed all the lame rules it asks for.. auto updates etc etc..

Am getting:

[Error number: 0x80072EFD]

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:

I had every device driver and program backed up on CDRs from my SP1 install and after clean formatting and installing the slipstreamed SP2 and reinstalling every piece of software, my boot time is still easily noticeably faster.

Other than that, I don't see any speed differences. No real other problems noticed in the past few days either yet. :whistle:

:pc:

Well I'm really not too sure what to do with my system. Since installing SP2, my Firewire doesn't work anymore. My iPod makes the system reboot, and my Firewire HD gives an error in device manager. Still does the same thing after reinstalling from a slipstreamed CD.

Nice one Microsoft. Does anyone have a VIA Firewire controller that works in SP2?

i installed sp2 over sp1 and done a format today with slipstream, both worked superbly, not a single problem. :yes:

Same here. The SP2 update has been a brilliant one for me. Not a single glitch, and the system reponse is noticeably faster.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, a lot of you may have forgotten to defrag after installing the service pack. It makes a huge difference.

I installed SP2 on a clean install of windows and things are running noticably faster! I'd been waiting for this to come out so I could format and fix a few other problems. Now I just have to customize things a bit ;)

Just did a clean install from slipstreamed CD. So far working fine (Y) apart from not being able to get into 85hz mode @ any resolution, but that was resolved by installing 56.56 FW's instead of 61.77.

I installed SP2 on my desktop and my laptop.  It seems to be working fine on my desktop, but it screwed up all of the wireless networking on my laptop.  I couldn't connect to anything, and when I'd click "repair" it would lock up my system.  I finally just uninstalled SP2 from my laptop.

funny it works fine for me! ( i installed the beta one when i had wireless)

and i did reformat my drive and installed XP agian because of some error(long story) and i just installed sp2 over the sp1 and it works FINE!!!

hypoxiaicon: did you follow the guide!

i've had no problems at all and have even started rolling out the SP to some of our end users for a little more real world testing.

all and all i'm pretty impressed at the lack of problems i'm seeing

good job ms

Yeah.... I'm not going to install SP2 until its available on Windows Update.

It just going to be the same thing, nothing will be changed,

HAHA, my slipstream just recorded 700MB of nothing :$ help

Did you do it manually and follow the extremely simple instructions posted all over Neowin, or did you use some lame hold-my-hand program?

I did notice that startup was slower but only by about 5 seconds on my computer. But shutdown on the other hand is like 10 seconds slower than usual on my computer. I also booted into safe mode to check it out and since safe mode shows all the drivers being loaded, I noticed that it stalled on one of the drivers (forgot what name). But safe mode booted much slower than normal boot: by about 30 seconds.

no probs here..maybe some incompatibility somewhere..

That's what I'd guess too.

Quite weird, maybe it's time for him to do a clean install?

So far I've installed XP SP2 on 6 computers including my home computers and I've got nothing to report but positive responses.

,Aug 10 2004, 23:59] That's what I'd guess too.

Quite weird, maybe it's time for him to do a clean install?

So far I've installed XP SP2 on 6 computers including my home computers and I've got nothing to report but positive responses.

My computer runs fine right now.....its just that the whole update seems to be slow to go and takes forever to boot.