Unable to synchronise time in XPSP2

I just slipstreamed a copy of SP2 with my XP CD and then after a fresh/clean install I have my security setting set to default.

Antivirus : Kaspersky Personal 5

Firewall : Windows Firewall

Still was unable to synchronise the time with time.windows.com or time.nist.gov, both with the firewall on and off.

Anyone facing a similar problem and able to resolve it, their response would be very welcome.

yeah i've had that since a little while before i got sp2, i think they must have upgraded the way those time servers work, or discontinued it - i wish they'd do something about it because my computer clocks the main one in the house!

Try a different server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers

Create a new string value titled "3" (or the next number)

Make its value "sundial.columbia.edu"

Sorry guys,

But this **** ain't goin anywhere, it just wont update, opened windows firewall port 123 UDP which is given in the Help & Support Center, but to no avail, tried diffrent servers but no luck

Thanks to all for helping

Nope, It's set to Automatic and has already started, even tried stopping and restarting it, to no luck. Irony is that it does not update even if I disable the Windows Firewall(UDP 123 Port is opened)

Could it b my ISP, might b

Go to services manager ("services.msc" from Start -> Run) and scroll down to Windows Time. Start the service. Hit update on the time. Voila. Otherwise just let it do it normally from time to time. Sometimes the service is off and you need to turn it on to do manual update. Otherwise leave it alone and it'll update just fine.

Allow Generic Host Process to send out from Port 123 if you're a firewall junkie. Port forwarding from a router is unnecessary. (Port forwarding is usually required for server-type crap).

EDIT: I didn't read your post above. Sorry.

ciaran

Hehehe, A quick format and the thing still doesn't work, pls don't rack your brains over it, cos I supppose my firewall has blocked those, bco couldn't ping to windows.com or even to nist.gov or for that matter any other NTP server.

Thanks

P. S. The service is running properly It just won't update, Turned off the Windows Firewall. Installed Panda Internet Security, nut to no avail

LOL. Mayb they will make a patch for this