No Shutdown with XP SP-2

Installed XP Service Pack 2 (Network version) yesterday and it worked fine. Restarted and shutdown about 7 times without problem. Booted this morning just fine and IE6 worked for all forums. One hour later can't get on the Internet (can't find IP address) and the system WILL NOT shutdown. I hit "Reset" and rebooted and the internet worked fine, but I still can't SHUTDOWN; just hangs. Restore from a shelf backup hard drive to XP+SP1 and everything works perfect. Any ideas?

Installed XP Service Pack 2 (Network version) yesterday and it worked fine. Restarted and shutdown about 7 times without problem. Booted this morning just fine and IE6 worked for all forums. One hour later can't get on the Internet (can't find IP address) and the system WILL NOT shutdown. I hit "Reset" and rebooted and the internet worked fine, but I still can't SHUTDOWN; just hangs. Restore from a shelf backup hard drive to XP+SP1 and everything works perfect. Any ideas?

Does the system freeze or just hangs? If hangs, at what stage of the shut down does it do this? Right after the icons dissapear?

If it's just hanging, leaving it for a while should bring up a dialog telling you which program is causing it.

System just hangs at "Windows is Shutting Down" for at least ten minutes, and I gave up and hit reset. It didn't do this yesterday and I haven't run ANY programs at all today. Just mail and five forums. I do have the registry tweak to "PowerdownAfterShutdown" installed.

Same kinda thing with me. After I shut down and rebooted (after using SP2 for hours) I tried to start up and everything went haywire. Hard drive was corrupted and my previous GHOST made just before installing would not restore. But a Ghost from 7/18 did restore just fine, and now I'm back at SP 1 with no problems at all. How strange...

I did make a slipstreamed CD of XP+SP1 and added SP-2 yesterday. I just tried doing a "Repair" with this CD and received notice that it can't repair XP with this CD, since it isn't the CD that I installed XP. I loaded XP five days after it's release and have never done a fresh install. If you saw my system you'd understand why I don't want a fresh install. (Can email BelArc Advisor ot system if this would help). I have been able to repair everything sofar using RecoveryConsole and I have a shelf scsi hard drive backup using Drive Image (updated every week) to replace "C & D" when I step in a big pile of $%@#. I also have the registry tweaks installed to PowerdownAfterShutdown.

The latest is that I just replaced XP with my old shelf drive without SP-2, and now have the exact same problem. Must not be SP-2? The internet works for awhile and then can't find DNS Server or IP. I think Mediacom is having a problem, but still it won't shutdown. I'll find the problem and post back if I find a solution. Thanks for any help, and more help would be appreciated.

PS: My W2000, NT, Mandrake, Suse, Fedora operating systems on seperate scsi drive never have this problem. It must be something I'm doing????

--------------------

NT-W2K-XP-Linux-SCSI

FIXED: Internet problem was Mediacom. Shutdown problem was the registry was changed in both version of XP. Added both registry tweaks again, saved the changes to the backup file in Winnt\System 32 and now everything works perfect in both XP+SP1, and XP+SP2.