[FAQ] MP3 support in Fedora Core 2

this may sound stupid but when i double click it...it asks what to open it with...i see nothing that would be able to..

You need to become su (in a terminal) and type rpm -ivvh xmms-mp3*.rpm

You could open it with rpm I guess, but then you'd need to be root to install it systemwide.

just use up2date to get mp3 support for this type this into terminal

# up2date xmms-mp3 gstreamer-plugins-mp3 libmad libid3tag

after installing finished do this

One thing you'll need to do is fire up xmms and go to Options -> Preferences then choose Audio I/O Plugins. In that list scroll down and find the MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Placeholder Plugin and disable it. Then enable the new plug-in you just downloaded which is listed as MPEG Layer 1/2/3 Player. Now MP3s should play just fine.

Source: FC 2 Tips

It worked for me :D

Yeah the second one is a pretty big apt repository.

Fedora.US started as a group making extra packages for Red Hat linux products. When Red Hat decided to make a community version, they merged with the Fedora Linux Project and created... Fedora Core!

Yeah the second one is a pretty big apt repository.

Fedora.US started as a group making extra packages for Red Hat linux products. When Red Hat decided to make a community version, they merged with the Fedora Linux Project and created... Fedora Core!

strange...when i add those to that file...synaptic crashes...i have to restart X. but now i think everything is fine.

but they arent showing up there...how can i add them to synaptic?