Need Help with IE

when i click a link to download something, it doesnt ask whether i want to save or open it. it just starts downloading it to a temporary folder. Now i have to right click the link and say "save target as". How do i change this?

uh..I was just going to say right click and save as cuz that's the only way I've seen of doing it. I don't think you can change it...unless it's something in the registry.

well you know how usually when you click a link to download something it comes up with a box asking if you would like to save it to your computer, or open it from its current location? that doesnt come up anymore, and it just automatically downloads it to a temporary folder. how do i switch it back? this same thing has happened on my dad's computer.

well you know how usually when you click a link to download something it comes up with a box asking if you would like to save it to your computer, or open it from its current location?  that doesnt come up anymore, and it just automatically downloads it to a temporary folder.  how do i switch it back?  this same thing has happened on my dad's computer.

ooooo I see...try resetting the defaults. Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Restore defaults

Did it just happen by itself? or were you tweaking something...

well... i found out that it only does it for certain ones on my computer, but it does it for all on my dad's

well... i found out that it only does it for certain ones on my computer, but it does it for all on my dad's

Well for specific file types, you can try changing the settings for each specific file type under control panel > folder options > file types....

but there may be an easier method... ;)