Windows Me/Xp Trace

I dont know is this has happened to anyone before or if anyone has heard of this, but here it is:

I used to have a dual boot on my system, with Windows ME, installed first, and then XP installed in another directory on the same hard drive/partition. After installing XP, i could not get into ME, becuase when I turned on my computer it wouldnt give me the boot menu. So I reinstalled ME, and then I could choose either OS at startup. When I reinstalled ME over XP, at the very first boot up of ME, after I logged I noticed a little DOS window popup and close in like once second, and I swear in the titile bar I saw the word "Redmond", and "trace" I didnt have time to read it all becuase it popped up quickly, but I'm sure I saw it in the title bar. Is it possible that there is a tracing command in Windows???

id have to say no. if microsoft did that, you would 1) have to have an always on internet connection and 2) your tcp/ip settings would have had to already been entered. you said the very first boot...if those settings were entered, they wouldnt have been sent then. they may infact have been sent after you connected. however, i honestly doubt that they are tracing you.

could have something to do with the fact you installed ME over XP.

I am not surprise by this incident... All Microsoft OS does a sweep of OS infos and sent it back home using random ports. It only open the ports it needs to use for only a few seconds and close the port by itself. All major firewall that I have used before seem to never detect this. I don't know if it has anything to do with a sub-internal subroutine called "Should not see me" or not, I am still trying to find out. And yes the ports are hidden from firewall detection. The first two letter that lead to identify the port starts with "ms" and about 2 to 4 more characters comes after that.

One more thing, brendl, YOU CAN NOT INSTALL TWO OS IN THE SAME PARTITION DUE TO THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT HAVE TWO BOOT SECTOR IN THE SAME PARTITIONS! One BOOT SECTOR can be only in ONE ACTIVE PARTITION.

thanks guys for the responses, I got a seperate hardrive now for the two OS. I had reinstalled ME, therefore the dialup settings were already installed and i have an always on cable modem. The copy of Windows Xp was... well a backup copy if you know what I mean, the connection could have been made, but do you think it would be worth it for micrsof to to bring someone to court over a windows xp copy, they would lose more money then they owuld get if they won, dont you think?