Limit outgoing bandwidth

I'm wondering if there is a way to limit your outgoing bandwidth (uploads) in WinXP Pro. I know Edonkey can do it but only for transfers that go through the donkey itself.

I want to do this because I want to share my files and give back to the community, but my ADSL connection is half-duplex, so when my uploads are maxed out to 16K/s, my downloads crawl to around 2-3K/s. If there were a way to limit the outgoing bandwidth to about 10K/s, then I could have FServs for irc, an FTP, Hotline Server, or just generally stay connected to progs such as edonkey, Direct Connect or Kazaa etc... while still getting my 128K/s down.

To sum up, basically I can only leech off of file sharing programs because if I'm sharing, I can't download at all. If there were a way to limit the outgoing traffic, I could share.

Any ideas?

It's just the nature of the ADSL service that I have (Bell Sympatico HSE). I don't think all ADSL connections are half duplex though, but it's not something I could turn off at my end. It would probably involve a change in the technology that my ISP is using to deliver the service.

Because duplexity (is that even a word? well it is now ^^) is hardware based, it is probably limited where the RJ-45 cable (ethernet) connects from your DSL to your computer/router/whatever. The only solution is to purchase a DSL thing that supports Full duplex ethernet access. Note that whatever you "plug" it into will also have to support full duplex.

As for the bandwidth limiting (I think they call it throttling) there is no built-in method to limit bandwidth usage (other than QoS...which isnt an option). I imagine there are some programs that can be used, though. And if you have a linux router/gateway, there are programs that allow you to limit bandwidth useage.

hmm

i doubt that getting "full duplex" dsl modem will make any difference.

connection speed from nic to modem is in worst case 10mbit which is far faster than inet connection...even in half-duplex mode.

Half Duplex = At any given time, data can be either sent or recieved, but not both.

Full Duplex = At any given time, data can be both sent AND recieved.

Ex: A 100Mbs Full Duplex line can be sending and recieving 100Mbs at the same time. A 10Mbs Half Duplex line can be sending data at 10Mbs, but it must stop sending data before it can recieve anything.