UAE wins first Olympic gold

UAE wins first Olympic gold

_39965172_maktoumshot203getty.jpg

Maktoum matched the Olympic record in the men's double trap

Ahmed al-Maktoum has become the first Olympic medallist from the United Arab Emirates, with gold in the shooting.

He won the men's double trap with score of 189 points, equalling the current Olympic record.

Maktoum is a member of Dubai's ruling family and was once the UAE's national squash champion.

India's Rajyavardhan Rathore took the silver, that country's first medal of the Games, while China's Zheng Wang collected bronze.

In the double trap, competitors fire with a double-barrelled shotgun at two clay targets released simultaneously at different heights and angles.

The person who hits the most targets wins. The shooter must fire just one shot at each target.

Maktoum's accuracy was stunning as he made it through to the final round with a world record breaking score of 144 points, six points clear of his nearest rival.

Concentration lapse

Comfortably in the lead and with the title effectively won, his concentration seemed to fail in the last round and he missed several targets, costing him the Olympic record.

"I knew I had the gold medal well before the final was finished because my coach had signalled to me from the stand," he said.

"My job was done, so I didn't concentrate on the final few shots."

UAE National Olympic Committee head Ibrahim Abdulmalik Ahli was delighted with the result.

"We entered Olympic history through the main gate," he said.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2...ics/3573616.stm

VidER

cool!

too bad he didnt break the world record

unproffesional on his part, but what can u do when theres the excitment of winning the first ever gold medal for ur country

its his coach's mistake:

"I knew I had the gold medal well before the final was finished because my coach had signalled to me from the stand," he said.

"My job was done, so I didn't concentrate on the final few shots."

Stupid coach :)

VidER

I watched this earlier today on CNBC. Yeah, it's real. The dude was awesome and hella confident. I like how they dispose of their spent ammo cases...they pop out 2 at a time and they catch them in their hand and just toss them into a collection basket.

Great sport to watch.

ROFL.

this is my new fav olympic event! shooting clay with a double barrell shotty! hahahahh

Dude, no way! Table Tennis is 20 times better! :laugh: Badmiton is next best!

I watched this earlier today on CNBC. Yeah, it's real. The dude was awesome and hella confident. I like how they dispose of their spent ammo cases...they pop out 2 at a time and they catch them in their hand and just toss them into a collection basket.

Great sport to watch.

Yes.. a joy to watch..

I found this pic..

VidER

post-91-1092854776.jpg