iAudio M3 Review

Note: Click image icons for photos. Sorry for the poor quality.

jpg.gif I purchased the Cowon iAudio M3 (20GB model with cradle) a few weeks ago for $289 USD from Amazon ($25 less than buying from JetAudio, even with their current 10% off deal). Shipped in three days, and I am quite happy with it so far. The "killer" features that made me choose it are: Ogg Vorbis support, OS independence, and slim design. And the fact that it's cheaper than the iRiver H120 and the iPod.

Aside from being quite a bit smaller than I had expected, there weren't any surprises. I was amazed at the quality of the product in general. The main unit felt very solid, which was a refreshing feel with all the plastic players out there. Everything one could possibly need (aside from a voltage transformer for European users) was included in the box, from the wires to a carrying case to remote screen protectors. This was quite a relief, nothing is worse than spending top dollars on a product only to find it needs other parts.

jpg.gif The player has four basic modes: digital audio, FM radio, voice recording, and line-in recording. Most of the functions can be accessed from both the main unit and the remote. The buttons vary from mode to mode, so it doesn't have the ease of use that an iPod does. However, after a few minutes of playing with the features, it is easy to learn. A 20GB (or 40GB, depending on model) 4200 RPM Toshiba MK2004GAL is at the core of the device, which alone costs ~$100 USD.

jpg.gif The digital audio mode can play MP3 (CBR and VBR), WMA, WAV, and Ogg Vorbis files. (Un?)Fortunately, it doesn't include any DRM features. Like many other players, it lacks lossless support (aside from WAV), but the Q10 OGG support balances this out. Files cannot be sorted or organised based on their ID3 tags, although the album and title values can be read and displayed. It includes a dynamic playlist, allowing songs to be added to a special list with one button press. If you've ever used foobar2000 or an audio player supporting auto-resume, you'll be happy to know that the M3 also supports this. It is nice to start the player and continue exactly where you left off without any user interaction. Other music enhancing features are included, such as a bass booster, a treble reinforcer, and an equaliser, but I prefer my sound raw. Bookmarking and M3U playlists are also supported.

jpg.gif The FM radio isn't top quality, but is still worth having. It can automatically scan for local stations, and has a 24-slot preset list. Songs can be recorded up to 320 kbps at 44 kHz, which is probably too high depending on the signal quality.

jpg.gif A small mic on the side of the main unit allows for voice recording. The quality is better than I expected. No lossless recording is currently supported, and I doubt it will be in the future. Furthermore, external microphones can't be connected. In short, don't expect to record any high-quality live performances with it. Recorded files cannot exceed 512 MB, before being split into a separate MP3.

jpg.gif Line-in recording is quite cumbersome, requiring an extension connector for the wires. It can also reach 320 kbps, and is the only stereo recording mode.

jpg.gif Compared to the main unit, the plastic remote feels quite cheap. Navigating the folder hierarchy is a bit tricky, as it relies on tiny buttons rather than a large scroll wheel. Much of its appearance can be customised, from a custom startup logo to the album title's method and speed of scrolling. Changing the logo is done with JetLogo, which can convert two-colour animated or static GIF files to ILB logo files. Unlike all other essential features of the M3, this requires Windows.

The included earphones are fine for the average user, but have their shortcomings. There isn't enough wire to put the main unit in a pants pocket, without using the remote. They are also very large, and easily fall out of the ears.

JetAudio 6 Free is included on the software CD to manage music files and send them to the M3. Fortunately, the software is not required; files can be transferred from any OS. The only function requiring Windows is logo customisation, as mentioned earlier.

jpg.gif Also included is a manual (filled with broken English and spelling errors), a carrying case, an extension connector (for USB, power, and line-in/out connections), an AC power adapter, and USB and line-in cables.

jpg.gif The optional cradle looks just as slick as the unit, and has the same four plugs as the extension connector. I recommend buying the cradle if you don't want to plug in the connector and a few wires just to charge it or transfer files. The device may also be charged directly from the USB cable, which obviously takes longer. Charging to 90% takes about two hours.

Currently, the model options are:

• 20 GB or 40 GB
  • M3L (extended battery life: 30-35 realistic hours) or M3 (9-14 realistic hours)
  • Silver or brown (looks more like a dark grey)
  • Cradle or no cradle

Pros:

• On-the-fly playlist support
  • Auto-resume (begin playback where it left off)
  • Ogg Vorbis (up to Q10) and WAV support
  • Quick tech support response
  • Cheaper than most of its competitors
  • Functions as a mass storage device
  • Operating system independent
  • Firmware actively developed
  • Most features accessible without remote
  • Slim, solid design
  • Bookmarking support
  • Uses USB 2.0 for fast transfers
  • Comes with everything needed
  • One year international warranty, 30 day return policy

Cons:

• Earphone cord too short
  • Logo customisations require Windows
  • Broken English in manual
  • Relatively difficult navigation
  • No external mic plug
  • No lossless encoding or compressed lossless playback (such as FLAC)
  • No organisation features based on ID3 tags

Overall, this is an excellent player. I love the open nature of the device, how it lacks DRM, plays Ogg Vorbis, allows customisations, and lacks restrictions. If you want a player that won't bind you to a certain application, format, or operating system, I strongly recommend the iAudio M3.

iAudio M3: http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/m3/

JetAudio: http://www.jetaudio.com/

Amazon link: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00028UMN0

post-104-1092802378.jpg

Depends. The iPod has iTMS integration, better organisation, and an excellent interface. The iAudio has better battery life, an FM radio, three recording modes, a remote, and a stainless steel case. If you desire some of the iAudio's extra features, and can live without the ease of use of the iPod, I would recommend this over the iPod.

There's a biased comparison between the two here:

http://jetaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1861

Even though the iPod is so popular and er... sexy, I'd probably never get one because of no radio.

I'm considering upgrading to an ihp or iAudio from my ifp-390T currently (after I decide if I want a sony PSP)