contracts if there is an NHL lockout?

I was wondering, what happens to those players who have contracts if there is a lock out. Lets say we have a player with a 4yr contract, does a 4yr contract mean just that... ie 2002-2006. or does it mean 4 seasons played? because if it is the first scenario then we should shave off a year on every players contract

It's until a certain year, normally. Some players have contracts based on number of years played, but almost all go until a certain year (ie. a contract that expires in 2007).

If there is a lockout, most players won't get money. Some get money regardless because it's in their contract.

If they have a contract that runs thru the next season and there's a lockout, then they will be free agents the following the strike season. When they sign the 1-8 year contracts, it begins on a certain date and ends on a certain date.

i wonder if there were any certain conditionalities imposed on these free agent signings because of the lockout to play a specific amount of seasons instead of years

Nah. But because it's the players that are going to be locking themselves out, they're the ones out the money.

That's why I'm supporting the WHA rebirth (see avatar).