Shareaza Download Problems

Question

I've forwarded the correct port on my router, I've set all up right (I'm pretty sure, anyway....) yet I've only had one thing that's downloaded since I've got it. The rest of the files I try to get come up in the transfers window and hang on either "active" or "pending"

I thought this was meant to be a good program? I'm connected on gnutella2 and eDonkey (gnutella1 just hangs on "connecting" the whole time), i've got a 2mb connection, and only ONE file out of 100+ searches has even *tried* to begin downloading. Seriously, either I'm doing something wrong or all the people that reccomend this program are stupid...

I'm guessing it's me.

9 answers to this question

Have you upgraded to Service Pack 2 for XP? It limits the number of connections to 10 and that cripples P2P. If that is the case, I have a fix.

it's not necessarily the program, it's just the way the edonkey network and the queues work.

basically you're going to wait a LONG LONG LONG time for something to donwload that isn't an mp3. the queues on edonkey, and even on gnutella2 are unbelievable.

you might be in queue spot 5000 for 1 particular persons download and when it eventually does get around to downloading from somebody, you might only get a few megs out of a 500 meg file. sometimes you get lucky and get somebody who has a fast connection and for some reason you download stays constant from them until the whole thing is finished, but most of the time you're only going to get bits and pieces.

it might be hard, but you'll literally have to leave the program running 24/7 for quite a while if you want to see your downloads finish.

also, as you're waiting in queue, people who have the file you want are constantly leaving and entering the system, so you might get a file where nobody online has it, so it will tell you no sources. most of the time when it says pending it means the sources that you are trying to connecting to are busy with a full queue. so they already have 1000 people in a 1000 queue line, so it will stay pending until you cna get that 1000 spot and then it might say active at the point. this is also where you pray to god the person doesn't disconnect right before you start downloading.

Make sure you've checked 'i can accept incoming connections'.

Open both TCP and UDP ports on your router.

That's all I can suggest, other than don't connect to edonkey. It sucks. Hard. macrosslover, gnutella2 queues are usually always less than 10. Most of the time 2 or 3.

Make sure you've checked 'i can accept incoming connections'.

Open both TCP and UDP ports on your router.

That's all I can suggest, other than don't connect to edonkey. It sucks. Hard. macrosslover, gnutella2 queues are usually always less than 10. Most of the time 2 or 3.

maybe i'm looking at the wrong network's queues then, but i could have sworn that i've been in a few g2 queues that were like 100 and taking relatively forever to get down to 1 too.

Well i'm not saying it's not possible. But I always get good speeds with g2. I just searched for a file to test, 3 sources. Two starting sending immediately, the other one 3 of 3 in a queue.

Another thing, try this out. I had a lot of trouble setting shareaza up for my router, but once you manage to pass that test, it's smooth sailing. :) You need to have shareaza running to use it.

Have you upgraded to Service Pack 2 for XP?  It limits the number of connections to 10 and that cripples P2P.

It only cripples it to 10 connections per second.

So P2P does not have a problem with Windows XP SP2.

It only cripples it to 10 connections per second.

So P2P does not have a problem with Windows XP SP2.

I did on a test computer with shareaza, worked fine to test out the "hacked" tcpip file... which changes it to 50... so yes, I think it does effect p2p a little, I have no problems with bittorrent yet though and has been fine since SP2 install.