UK in the Olympics

So, I was having dinner and watching the news, when they started to talk about the Olympics...

I don't wanna hear anything about the Olympics this year, so, I changed the channel.

But I noticed that they were talking about the Great Britain team...

And I was <wtf> :huh: </wtf>?

Great Britain is like... England + Scotland + Northern Ireland + Wales or something like that!

I don't get it...

Why are they playing as teh Great Britain?

They play as that because we live as Great Britain, all of the countries are ruled by the parliament in England, but each country has their own smaller parliament which has a bit of power, so it makes sense to have our Olympic team based from all three countries. As when I travel to Wales I don't go through big checkpoints as if I'm travelling to a foreign country becasue I'm not, I'm just going to like another part of our country as it were.

Does that make any sense??

They play as that because we live as Great Britain, all of the countries are ruled by the parliament in England, but each country has their own smaller parliament which has a bit of power, so it makes sense to have our Olympic team based from all three countries. As when I travel to Wales I don't go through big checkpoints as if I'm travelling to a foreign country becasue I'm not, I'm just going to like another part of our country as it were.

Does that make any sense??

Just out of curiosity, would you say they're like states, in the U.S.? Or do they have a bit more sovereignty?

Do Texas have their own team in the olympics? No.

So you can relate to it like that. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are the "states" of the UK.

I understand that part, but why does England, Wales etc have their own soccer team and rugby team ?

Yeah, suppose they are like states.

But then again, never get an englishman mixed up with a welshmen or there will be hell to pay for!!! :whistle:

They are seperate countries, but the belong to Britain.

*Edit* Plus if we had a GB footy team we get Giggs!!!!! :woot:

Dont forget Earnshaw and Gabbidon ;) and good old Savage :D

I understand that part, but why does England, Wales etc have their own soccer team and rugby team ?

Probably the same reason the NFL has Washington, Arizona, New England, Carolina, Tennessee.

I think New England represents like 4-5 states, not just Boston/Mass.

Rugby - non-GB

Tennis - GB

Football - non-GB

Golf - GB (I think)

Motor Racing (Rally, Formual racing, etc) - GB

Watersports - GB

Winter Sports - GB

Table-Tennis - GB

That's all i can think of now, i think there all right, correct me if i'm wrong.