Eraser 5.7-freeware

Did you know that when you delete something from the recycle bin on your computer that it isn't permantly deleted? I know a lot of people say yea I have heard of that, but did you ever get a program to permantly delete something, well here it is. Eraser 5.7 provides 4 levels of deletion: 1 pass-Quick pass, 3 passes-U.S. Department of Defense level of deletion version 5220.22M/E, 7 passes-U.S Department of Defense level of deletion version 5220.22M/E,C and E again, and finally 35 passes-Gutmans level. You might wondering what I mean when I say the word "pass" in that I mean; the data that you are erasing is overwritten with more data, 1 time,3 times or whatever level of deletion you choose.

As you probably guessed each level takes a bit more time, but you shouldn't notice a huge slow down in deletion time, unless you select Gutsman or 35 passes (I use the feature 95% of the time). The user interface of Eraser 5.7, is somewhat basic which isn't that much of an issue when a company would rather work on the quality of the program than making it look good and having it not work at all. Memory usage isn't huge, unless during a scan, but the computer is still somewhat usuable just at a slow rate.

Featurse of the program include: time scheduled deletion, a nuke boot disk program, overwriting unused space (for use on deleting excess things left over from before using this program that you didn't know about), and logging tools.

If your thinking less of his program because it is freeware, you shouldn't have to. The quality done by the Heidi software team is amazing in conjunction with Eraser. So if your worried about secure data deletion, don't look into buying software unless you are dissatisfied with Eraser.

My rating: 9.4

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/eraser/Eraser57Setup.zip

well since no1 is talking i'll get something started lol. am i the only one that is using this app around the forum or what? try this out guys it is worth it (even if the 35 pass overwrite is a bit long)

• 2 weeks later...

We use this at work to dlete cleints files once we have finished working on them and have sent them out. Excellent free program.

And yes it will make a boot disk that totally erases your HDD, however it does 35 Passed on each byte with random data, it can take 5-10 times as long as normal format.

Well I use it, I only attatch it to my trash can, but I use. I don't know why I do, I have nothing to hide, but I always install it. I only use the regular recycle bin function for deleting huge files. So let them flame on, who cares, I like this application.

Great for at work when you have to make sure confidentital stuff is really gone, though I don't see why I should use it at home.

I have my own pc I'm the only one touching it, so.... yeah, no need to use this then.