3dfx voodoo3

7 members have voted

1. 1. 3dfx voodoo3

• Yes :-)
    • No :-(

I dont believe there are any official drivers released, but if you go to google.com and search for something like

voodoo3 xp drivers

you should get some 'homemade' ones that people have made that seem to work ok.

(Your mileage may vary of course).

Mike

I ve got an old computer my friend gave me to upgrage and there are two Video cards inside . A ATI (windows drivers) card and a Voodoo 2 . The Monitor goes into the ATI card and there is another cable connecting it to the Voodoo 2 card.

My question : Do I just have to install the drivers for Voodoo 2 or do I need to do something extra becaus I installed some Win2K drivers for Voodoo 2 and in hardware maneger it shows the card in the video and sound section and not in the display section (is that normal ?) ..

Should I just rip out the ATI card of that comp? :) Help would be appreciated

You need drivers for both, Voodoo2's are 3D accelorators and not video cards in themselves. They simply 'take over' whenever something (like games) require 3D, and the ATI card handles the 2D normal video. The order you have the cables hooked up in sounds wrong, it should go like this:

ATI ---> Voodoo2 ---> Monitor

Read as ATI card out hooks to Voodoo2's in, then Voodoo2's out hooks to the monitor.

The XP drivers for the Voodoo are posted above in a previous post, the XP ATI drivers *may* be availible on their site: http://support.ati.com/drivers/index.html?...older=65&doc=52

I ve got Microsoft made ATI drivers they should work I think but this Voodoo 2 card did work under 98 with this settings :

voodoo 2 ---- cable --- goes into ATI --- Monitor goes into ATI card.

This always worked but I dont know if it will in XP because apperantly Win2k doesnt recoginze the second display adapter properly ( some thing like that).

Could someone plz reply whos got a Voodoo 2 card and the same config. or mail me :) funky_mike@hotmail.com

Could someone plz reply whos got a Voodoo 2 card

I have one in one of my machines, I cannot fathom how the Voodoo2 would work that way UNLESS the ATI has an out and an in. If that is the case, you don't need the Voodoo2 at all.

I use Voodoo2. Since its an add-on card, it should be "between" your video card and a display.

The problem I have is that I wasn't able to make Direct3D work in 2000/XP.

M@$E$:

Well yeah thats how it looks like. the monitor is going into ATI and there is another port right next to it that leads up to the voodoo card .... but why wouldnt I need the card?:)

Denisvs:

I havent checked the connections in hardware manager I only checked the other option .. u know ehh the one where you can see all your hardware listed in a tidy list of which is which hardware.

Ok... Here's the deal... If the ATI has two OUTS, then they are for multi-monitor setups. Therefore, the one that is being ran into the Voodoo2 is just kinda going to it for no reason ;) If you are getting 3D with that setup then you can take the Voodoo2 out and all will be fine. As denisvs said:

Since its an add-on card, it should be "between" your video card and a display.