Blocking out WhatPulse sigs on Mac OS X

Read: Please don't flame me to hell like what happened in the other thread! I'm only trying to give a tip. WhatPulse sigs can be an annoyance for 56kers. I don't use 56k, but I've experienced it when on the road and too lazy to switch to Neowin Lite. WhatPulse sigs do not cache, which means having to load a pretty big file on 56k every time you load a page with a WhatPulse sig (and lots of people have them). Don't make dumb remarks like "You should get a faster connection." or "What's wrong with WhatPulse? Stop being such a moron!". It ruins it for everybody else that actually wants these things gone, for personal reasons or so their connection doesn't slow to a crawl while loading a page on Neowin. Anyway, on with the guide!

1. In Terminal, type sudo emacs /etc/hosts

2. Type in your administrator password when it asks you. You will not see the password you're typing, but it'll be there.

3. In the file that pops up, add this line to the end of the document (note that [TAB] means to hit the Tab key): 127.0.0.1[TAB]whatpulse.bounceme.*

4. Press Ctrl-X and then Ctrl-S to save the document. Quit Terminal when the message wrote /etc/hosts appears at the bottom.

5. Restart Safari.

Bonus for Safari (and other browsers with support for custom stylesheets): If you truly want to get rid of any sign of them, do all of the steps above. Then, download this file (Option-Click in Safari). In Safari, go to Preferences (Command + ,). Go to the Advanced section, and apply the stylesheet you just downloaded. No need to refresh. Safari should automatically kick in. Then you won't see the little question mark.

I know this guide works on Linux/Unix too, but I can't remember if its the exact same process.

Edited by jagedEdge

lol. do you really think it's needful to start another thread with the same problem/topic for for a different OS? i hope timdorr closes thsi thread asap.

It's just a tip. The other thread didn't have it for OS X, so I'm saying it now. Timdorr can close it. I just want it to be here.

Read: Please don't flame me to hell like what happened in the other thread! I'm only trying to give a tip. WhatPulse sigs can be an annoyance for 56kers. I don't use 56k, but I've experienced it when on the road and too lazy to switch to Neowin Lite. WhatPulse sigs do not cache, which means having to load a pretty big file on 56k every time you load a page with a WhatPulse sig (and lots of people have them). Don't make dumb remarks like "You should get a faster connection." or "What's wrong with WhatPulse? Stop being such a moron!". It ruins it for everybody else that actually wants these things gone, for personal reasons or so their connection doesn't slow to a crawl while loading a page on Neowin. Anyway, on with the guide!

cant you just enable the option "surf without sigs"

My Controls>Board Settings>Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics? [no][yes]

I don't mind normal signatures since they've already been cached. That would also knock out pretty harmless text sigs.

I think the option for turning off sigs is good, especially for 56k users since there are not only the whatpulse sigs that may be heavy to load.

Why not just right-click any WhatPulse sig in Firefox, select Block Images from whatpulse.bounceme.net, and refresh the page?

That's what I do if I want to keep sigs and avators visible. :) (Y)

Why not just right-click any WhatPulse sig in Firefox, select Block Images from whatpulse.bounceme.net, and refresh the page?

because not everyone uses Firefox, surprisingly :woot:

Great idea! I didnt know that :)

because not everyone uses Firefox, surprisingly :woot:

Exactly. My method works across all browsers in Mac OS X.